Is it worth repairing a Mac mini PPC G4?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by jubbly, Jan 16, 2013.

1. jubbly

jubbly

A friend of mine has one of the very early Mac minis; Power PC 1.25Ghz, 512mb RAM. Incredible to think that these are now 8 years old!

Anyway the hard drive has gone but she doesn't know if it is even worth getting it replaced. How long will Apple go on supporting these?

If she thinks she will get a good few years out of it from now then she will go ahead with the repair.

Would you bother?

jubbly, Jan 16, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. jubbly

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Probably not, but that's me.
    I would think that a better question might be, will it likely serve the purpose for her and continue to satisfy her computing needs, if she decides to have it serviced.
    Usually these types of decisions are dictated by budge constraints. So I suppose she needs to weigh the costs of replacing the drive versus the cost of a suitable replacement, factoring in labor and personal time and effort in getting everything backup and running on a new drive and where she wants to be a year or two down the road with respect to her personal computing experience.
    AND considering the overall age of the computer you have to consider the "what's next" factor. A new PSU? GPU? Motherboard, etc.,? While hard drive failure is not unusual but just a likely matter of fact she'll need to consider a general failure cascade considering the length of time this machine has been in service.
    Considering the minimal system specs, a system replacement might also represent an overall generally better computing experience.
    Just some thoughts.
    Regards
    Randy

Trouble, Jan 17, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. jubbly

Kougar Moderator

If the thing is covered under warranty still, then I'd say go for it. (Based on current models, it looks like it definitely is not)

But that said, a PowerPC based system is NOT worth putting money into. PowerPC processors were not quite as fast as Intels at the time, and processors have come a significant way since those days! Also 512MB of RAM was also pretty small, even back then! I'd really really suggest just getting a new system (Apple or otherwise) at this point, even for basic web browsing and email she will notice a difference.

Kougar, Jan 18, 2013
  4. jubbly

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

You'd need a 2.5" UATA laptop hdd. They're more expensive than regular SATA drives because they're, well, ancient technology so there's little demand. Can it be done? Yes. Will Apple replace the drive? No, you'll have to do it yourself. There are how-to videos on YouTube.

Is it worth the time, money, and bother? I wouldn't do it, but I'm not your friend.

Core, Jan 19, 2013
  5. jubbly

jubbly

I managed to source a drive for her for £13. Second hand but as long as she backs up she may get several years use out of it.

The PC is painfully slow. It even struggles with 480p youtube videos. A RAM upgrade to 1GB might help. They should have put 2 RAM slots in them.

jubbly, Jan 22, 2013
  6. jubbly

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

No, it wouldn't help. I had a 1.5 GHz PPC Mac Mini with maxed out RAM, and it couldn't handle YouTube properly. It's not the memory that's the problem, it's the completely shitty (by today's standards) GPU.

Core, Jan 22, 2013
  7. jubbly

jubbly

That is why I would never have anything like this. I don't even like having laptops because the upgrade options are so limited.

Well, it could be worse. I know someone who was quoted £350 by apple yesterday to fix their macbook.:eek:

Desktop PC user for life here.

jubbly, Jan 22, 2013
  8. jubbly

derplima

It would be more cost effective to just buy a newer one. Apple repairs are not cheap.

derplima, Mar 30, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question