Intermittent internet with 2 errors: "default gateway not available," and "ethernet doesn't seem...

Discussion in 'Networking' started by tbone, Feb 18, 2013.

1. tbone

tbone

The thread title didn't have enough room for me to finish. The second error is "ethernet doesn't seem to have a valid IP address."

I recently bought a new computer with windoew 8. I have been having internet issues. I have problems whether I use wireless or connect directly to the modem with a cable. The internet just goes randomly, and comes back randomly. Sometimes it is gone for a few minutes, other times much longer. I don't have any other computer to see if it works or not. My modem looks like it is working fine when the internet is working and when it is not working. I think the wireless router is fine, I bought it only a few days ago. I'm not too tech smart so I don't know much that I could do to further investigate the issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

tbone, Feb 18, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. tbone

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Hello and welcome to the forum.
    First lets look for mDNSresponder.exe and see if it's running.
    Next let's start with the basics
    When the internet is working properly let's get your IP configuration information
    Again from the Windows 8 Start Screen type
    command
    right click the resultant command prompt icon and from the bottom choose "Run as administrator"
    In the command prompt windows type
    ipconfig /all | clip (that's a pipe symbol preceding the word clip and is usually found on most keyboards above the back slash (\) symbol)
    That will place the information we need onto the Windows Clipboard. You can either paste it into your next post or paste it into a new text document (notepad) and attach it to your next post by clicking "more options" and then the upload a file button.
    We'll need to see two versions of that information.... one when the internet is working and one when it isn't to get an idea as to what might be going on.

Additionally, in the interest of simplification you may want to focus on one Network Interface Device at a time and disable the other while working through this issue. Perhaps start with the wired interface first and simply disable the wireless for now in Device Manager. Just don't forget to re-enable it as we progress.

Trouble, Feb 19, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question