Installing Windows 8 on a SEPARATE drive

Discussion in 'Installation, Setup and Upgrades' started by LoneWolfMage, Feb 6, 2013.

1. LoneWolfMage

LoneWolfMage

Greetings all ~

I posted some time ago about installing Win 8 in a VIRTUAL environment .. which .. thanks to advice from here went quite well.

Now, at this point I have the opprotunity ( from work) to get a NFR ( Not For Retail sale) verison of Windows 8.Due to being a "Windows 8 Accredited Associate" ( Via Microsoft Expert Zone) from my work place.

I would like to be able to intsall this on a secondary drive (which is internal) and would like to have the option to dual boot.

The drive itself it Empty and formatted. Pretty much ready to take whatever I happen to "throw" at it.

The drive itself is :
    Interface PATA
    Capacity 37.3GB
    Real size 40,020,664,320 bytes
    (above information taken from Speccy)

Is there any "special process" to be able to do what I am wanting to do ?

I should be getting the keycode and download instructions either sometime this week or next week. So its no major rush and i will be taking my time to make sure i do things right and not totally "bork" my system .

Any advice or instructions to do this correctly is greatly appreciated. :)

~LoneWolf

LoneWolfMage, Feb 6, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. LoneWolfMage

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

First bit of advice..... Backup.
    Create a system image. I use Acronis but there are many free alternatives available that many people seem to like. A small list here http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-drive-imaging-program.htm

Second.... if possible. Many current MoBo's support a Function Key (F-Key) strike during post that will evoke a boot device menu (mine is F12) yours may be different. IF you have that as an option then my second suggestion is to make the installation a discrete install, completely independent of your other OS. Do this by removing all other drives from the system while performing the install. Once completed reattach the other drives and use the BIOS Boot Device Menu to select which OS to boot during POST.
    This technique accomplishes two things. It protects and keeps safe your present OS (system files and boot config files), data and programs.... and gives you the strongest and easiest fall back position.

OR...

There are literally hundreds of explanations, describing how to perform a more typical dual boot install ( http://winsupersite.com/article/windows8/windows-8-tip-dualboot-windows-7-144111 ) for one. Just google "dual boot windows 7 and windows 8".
    Many involve a partitioning process to grab some extra space off your current drive. Since you have a separate drive you can pretty much skip over that part and just make sure you choose the correct drive during the installation.
    I don't particularly like this method as it complicates (just a small bit) your ability to return things back to the way they were before the dual boot, where the discrete install just means removing the second OS drive as that method does not complicate the boot manager / boot menu in either OS install.

Trouble, Feb 6, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. LoneWolfMage

LoneWolfMage

Trouble~

First off , sorry for taking almost a week to answer back to your advice :(, had some major internet problems here but all fixed now :)

Thank you for your advice reagrding installin Win8 its appreciated.

I do have some other questions however.

I do understand what you are refering to as far as the "F-Key" strike during post. You mentioned however ALSO to disconnect my other drives. Which I dont have a problem doing, im just wondering if that would acctualy "mess up" the dual boot that I am wishing to accomplish ? Unless I'm misunderstanding I could feasably just boot with the CD in the drive and install it directly to the empty drive whithout even having to worry about disconneting anything and/or corrupting the Main (Win7) OS drive to begin with. Correct ?

Second question, you mention "I don't particularly like this method as it complicates (just a small bit) your ability to return things back to the way they were before the dual boot, where the discrete install just means removing the second OS drive as that method does not complicate the boot manager / boot menu in either OS install." In the case that I would possibly LIKE to remove Win 8 woudl it not just be simple enough to format the drive that Win8 is installed on and modifying the "boot.ini" in msconfig to no longer dual boot to that drive? And then just reuse that drive as more extra storage.

Main reason I DO want Win 8 on its own drive (rather than dual boot from the SAME drive) is seeing as though I will be mainly using Win 7 for my "day to day" acticvities. I would like to install some particualr programs and "test" them for compatability on Windows 8 and before acctually moving full time to Windows 8.

I know quite a few people that have migrated to Win8, as well as at work all the systems that are now being sold have Win 8 on them. Beacuse of this i want to make sure that I am realying ACCURATE infomation to those people when they ask about compatability.

Granted, Win8 is still quite new and compatability is NOT guaranteed, (Is it ever guranteed even with other versons of Windows lol ) but at least I can say with some sense of honesty "I have found that 'X' program works/doesnt work/or here at the steps to get it to work with Win8".

Thanks again for your advice.
    ~LoneWolf

LoneWolfMage, Feb 12, 2013
  4. LoneWolfMage

LoneWolfMage

(Editing permission time ran out so just doing a quick reply)

After doing some other quick searching, I think I understand more that what I would like to do ( instaling Win8 on a separate drive and being able to dual boot WITHOUT having to change the BIOS setting eact time to boot from one OS to another), is simply NOT feasable :(

Unless, Im reading information incorrectly. Which to be honest is quite possible.

In reality, I would have to partion my drive with my Main OS on it and do the dual boot that way. To be perfectly honest, doing the partitioning is NOT something I relish doing. I had a BAD experince with it one other time and ended up having to redo my entire system. Every since then I've been quite "gun-shy" about fiddiling with partitons.

If there is any advice to accomplish what I want to accomplish. Feeel free to suggest :) Im all ears for it :)

~LoneWolf

LoneWolfMage, Feb 12, 2013
  5. LoneWolfMage

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

I was simply offering some advice as to one way you might accomplish your dual boot. If your Motherboard BIOS supports it (as I said) you do not have to reconfigure the BIOS (that would be extremely awkward) I was suggesting that you use what is commonly called the "One time boot menu" which on most reasonably new motherboards is produced by striking an F Key (function key... top row of keyboard) at POST (Power On Self Test). I explained why I liked to do it this way and it is no more inconvenient then having to reboot anyway to switch between OSs.
    I also explained that there are more "conventional" dual boot methods and provided a link to one in my initial answer and a suggestion as to the search criteria you might use to find more, using Google or Bing.
    I also noted that due to the fact that you have a second drive waiting for you to put something onto it, you could fore-go the steps for partitioning your current primary OS drive as long as you were careful to select the alternate drive during the install process.
    I also recommended that before you do anything that you take steps to backup your system (drive image) so as to protect you against critical data loss and provided links to free software to accomplish this.
    So I'm not sure what questions you have? As far as getting back to where you started, that's where the drive image might come in but there are also other ways to do that as well http://www.howtogeek.com/75878/how-to-uninstall-or-remove-windows-8-from-your-dual-boot-setup/
    Just slightly more complicated than you might think.
    Regards
    Randy

Trouble, Feb 13, 2013
  6. LoneWolfMage

ChristineBCW

I do the "Disconnect #1 C: Drive" frequently to create a second "C: Drive" during the OS Install process, but it's only for the OS Install and Program Installs. After that, I then re-connect all other "Boot Drives" and use F12 to select the drive to boot from.

The "Disconnect other drives" is easier for me during Installs because I have to restart the machine so often. On some boxes, I've found the rather wonderful "dual SATA connector" cables that have a single-head for Power & Data so "unplugging" is that one 'set', although I have often unplugged the SATA Data only and left Power connected, too.

This below pix is close enough, but the "dual head connector" in the middle only has one Data cable and one Power connector, not the two on each side. Don't know why the photog did that!
    [​IMG]

ChristineBCW, Mar 13, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question