Installing Win10

Discussion in 'Windows 8 News' started by Trisha Finley, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Trisha Finley

Trisha Finley

Will I lose any information (pics, Microsoft files, favorites, desktop icons, etc) when I switch from win8 to win10 next mth?

Trisha Finley, Jun 25, 2015
    1. Advertisements

2. Trisha Finley

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Nope.... you should be good to go as long as you perform the upgrade and choose to "keep everything".
    But, of course, any major software installation such as an OS Upgrade like this could result in unintended results, so....
    Please make sure to backup anything you consider critical data (pics, music, docs, contacts, emails, etc., etc.)

Trouble, Jun 25, 2015
    1. Advertisements

3. Trisha Finley

bassfisher6522

I wondering how the "clean install" option is going to work once one has upgraded? If MS even keeps their promise to do a clean install.

bassfisher6522, Jul 6, 2015
  4. Trisha Finley

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Good questions and I suppose it's still anyone's guess, but.....
    My suggestion(s) would be to
    1. Create system images, using something like Acronis pre-upgrade, post-upgrade, and post-clean install, and explore them to confirm you've got what you hoped you'd have.
    2. Keep track of your product keys (all of them), pre-upgrade, post-upgrade, and post-clean install, for comparison and any emergencies that might ensue.

The word is that, it is completely do-able and supported. Which might lead one to believe.... bulletproof.
    Personally I'll stick with the belt and suspenders, just to be extra safe and cautious.

Trouble, Jul 6, 2015
  5. Trisha Finley

Rajittaa

I upgraded from 8.1 to 10 Tech Preview and it kept all my files. Even kept most of my programs. As long as you follow the prompts and make the right choices you should be ok. I agree with making backups and image backups, but if you cant do this, copy all of your files to onedrive or Dropbox. When you reinstall those programs and sign in, you will have access to all of your files again.

Rajittaa, Jul 6, 2015
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question