Installing W8 on an SSD

Discussion in 'Installation, Setup and Upgrades' started by JamesB, Jan 6, 2013.

1. JamesB

JamesB

Hello.

My PC runs W7 64 bit on a 60GB SSD. I have been considering buying a larger SSD and it has occured to me that if I could retain my W7 O/S on the "old" SSD and install W8 on the new SSD. My documents and most of my program files are, of course, on a conventional HDD. I suspect that there may be difficulties somewhere along the line here to do with a clean install of W8 - I am thinking that i may have to re-install some, if not all, of the programs on the HDD but the idea of swapping the SSDs over, should I need to go back to W7 in an emergency, appeals to me. Has any one any advice or is this a totaly stupid idea?

Thanks

Jim

JamesB, Jan 6, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. JamesB

Kougar Moderator

Yes, you will likely need to reinstall any programs that reside on the HDD so they can recreate the required folders, config files, and registry entries on the OS drive.

The problem is if you install Windows 8 on the new SSD and install the programs onto the HDD, then if you ever swapped SSDs again you will run the risk of corrupting the programs when Win7 tries to use them. Especially if program versions no longer match, that's just asking for trouble.

You could leave both SSDs installed and dual-boot between Windows 7 and Windows 8 easily, but you would need to keep any installed programs dedicated to the host OS drive. If you bought a large enough SSD and kept Win8 and all newly installed programs on the Win8 SSD then there's nothing to stop you from dual-booting with all 3 drives left installed.

Kougar, Jan 6, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. JamesB

JamesB

Thanks very much for the reply. I will see if there is the facility to install a 2nd SSD in the PC. If there is I will need to find out about fixing the dual booting.

JamesB, Jan 6, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question