Install Windows 8 in legacy vs. UEFI: advantages or disadvantages?

Discussion in 'Installation, Setup and Upgrades' started by Ganesh Ujwal, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Ganesh Ujwal

Ganesh Ujwal

I installed Windows 8 on an SSD under legacy with partition MBR. The mobo supports UEFI BIOS. Now I would like to know:

Are there are other kinds of advantages of UEFI apart from having secure boot and fast boot?

It bothers me to reinstall Windows to set UEFI; can I do this without having to reinstall the OS?.

I read also that with GPT, I may have a few problems installing Linux distributions. Is this true?

Ganesh Ujwal, Jan 6, 2015
    1. Advertisements

2. Ganesh Ujwal

davehc

I would suggest it is a presonal choice, based typically around security.
    Speaking as a domestic user, I have never had any serious security problems, since my first use of Windows way back. I ensure that any critical items, such as bank accounts, are secured by other means - certainly not left on an unattended computer. On that premise, I find the UEFI only nuisance value, and my first action when encountered, it is to disable it.
    Fast Boot? With modern computers - that would be the majority which have UEFI, , SSD's etc, this is no longer a major consideration. For something which is seldom used (I boot up my main computer once a day) it is not worth a thought. There is also the alternative of a start up from hibernation - just as quick.

davehc, Jan 6, 2015
    Trouble and Ian like this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question