Install Win8.1 over Ubunto

SOLVED Discussion in 'Installation, Setup and Upgrades' started by Doofus, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Doofus

Doofus

Cannot install Win8.1 on either SDD. Only one has ubunto. Repair options, I tried them all, cannot. What should I use to reformat the specific drive to which I want Win8.1. The drive I want it on has Ubunto and Win does not recognize its file system. Win will not enable the reformat option.

The other drive seemingly is not NTFS despite Win Repair enabling a reformat after which it still will not install to that drive for the same NTFS reason. I'd like Win to recognize it but do not want it installed to it.

I have no concern about saving or backing up anything. Clean wipe of both drives and install on the MSata would be ideal.

Windows comand prompt diskpart shows disk 0, disk 1, and disk 2. Disk 1 and 2 are on the Msata. What specific commands do I use to remove the partition between Disk 1 and 2, then format for Windows install? I got a list of the commands from within DiskPart but still not sure after reviewing its attempt to teach me the syntax.

Then I'd like to reformat disk 0 so Windows will not have issues with it either.

Am I on the right track? Are there other options besides using the command prompt?

Intel NUC with Intel's UEFI and Legacy BIOS.
    Settings are to default although current booting from USB first.
    Msata and SDD, 8gb Ram.

I am using USB install media.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
    Doofus, Sep 12, 2015
    1. Advertisements

2. Doofus

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

The first thing I would recommend, in the interest of keeping everything as simple as possible, is to only connect the single drive that you choose to target for the Windows install.

Then boot from the installation media and at the first screen
    Hold the shift key and press F10
    type diskpart
    at the diskpart prompt type
    list disk
    from the results choose your target disk by number usually disk 0 but make sure, and type
    select disk 0 (assuming disk 0 is your target drive)
    then type
    clean
    type exit and then type exit again to return to the install screen.

Trouble, Sep 12, 2015
    1. Advertisements

3. Doofus

Doofus

That is done and thank you. However, on the Msata (disk 1 and disk 2) remains a partition containing 7gb that I'd prefer gone to result in one 60gb volume onto which I can install WIn8.1 Pro.

I am reasonably sure what resides on the 7gb is ugly and malicious as it seems to consistently corrupt both Win and Ubunto install media. Upon following the disk clean instructions, the Win 8 media was jacked.

Making a new one now as after the cleaning it popped up with Media test failure and Exiting intel boot agent.

Assuming my new media will get me back to the command prompt, what commands do I type to accomplish that on the disks, both which have been cleaned?

Should I wait until the new media has been created and see if it will boot?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
    Doofus, Sep 12, 2015
  4. Doofus

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

What Win 8 media "got jacked"? I thought I had mentioned
    When you use Diskpart 'clean' there is no coming back from that..... you have to make absolutely certain that whatever drive / volume / partition you are targeting is the correct one.
    When a physical disk has been cleaned it should no longer contain any partition or even an MBR, it should show as uninitialized.
    The Intel Boot Agent, is just a last resort boot attempt (aka PXE boot) to find a network resource with bootable media.

Trouble, Sep 12, 2015
  5. Doofus

Doofus

Windows is now installed and running.

After cleaning disk 1 and 2, which were both on the Msata, it wouldn't boot back into Windows.

I had to recreate the USB install media and the first two of the three attempts failed.

Finally, I reformatted the USB to NFTS with Rufus 2.3 and it created a disk that installed Win 8.1.

I installed the SDD and Win does not see it.

How do I make Windows see the SDD?

Thank you, this box had been exploited some time ago using Linux and it has been redrum getting it to work again.

Doofus, Sep 13, 2015
  6. Doofus

Doofus

And can you point me to a tutorial that has step by step instructions for setting up drivers and such?

It has been a while since I did this one and recall there were about 5 or 6 drivers including graphics.

I had just gotten the different sized dual monitors configured about the time it became owned.

Doofus, Sep 13, 2015
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question