install issues

Discussion in 'Installation, Setup and Upgrades' started by Tim, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Tim

Tim

trying to install under Virtual PC .. have tried the 32 bit/ 64 bit downloads W8Install.jpg W8Install.jpg and the version created by the Tools program and nothing installs - in 32 bit I get HAL_INITIALIZATION_FAIL and in 64 bit it tell me I dont have a 64 bit procesor when I do - screen shot att.

Tim, Mar 7, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. Tim

Kemical

Kemical, Mar 7, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. Tim

Tim

well - that worked .. few problems along the way .. but eventually .. but man.. it seems slow .. and navigating ... holy .. s%^&^&* . :)

Tim, Mar 10, 2012
  4. Tim

Kemical

I've not run the os under virtual machine conditions but can assure you that I'm running the os as a default and it's definitely not slow. Can you allocate more resources for the VM like RAM etc?

As for navigation, just think of the start menu as just that, a huge start menu. Move what apps you want into it and remove what apps you don't. If you cannot find an app in particular then just right-click when in the Start menu and all your apps and programs will be revealed by clicking the little icon on the bottom left hand side..
    Post back Tim if you need further help :)

Kemical, Mar 10, 2012
  5. Tim

Tim

well - I gave it all the resources the posts suggsted I give it - including 2048 of Ram and an 80GB virtual HD ..

honestly - the whole app thing is a bit of a waste of time with me .. what I want is access to things like control panel, and other settings on the system .. and my programs (realizing of course this fresh install doesnt actually have my programs on it ) .. the start menu with access to areas of the system and programs is no longer there .. what replaces it ? - if you say its the apps .. but the apps dont include the system programs .. and if I cant find .. how am I to include them as app .. etc ....

Tim, Mar 10, 2012
  6. Tim

Kemical

Ok I did a little 'photo montage' in which you can see how to move them and also you can see my Start area as an example:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope this helps somewhat..

Kemical, Mar 10, 2012
  7. Tim

Kemical

Oops... Sorry Tim major blunder here... I deleted the images by mistake... Doh! I'll rectify this asap

Kemical, Mar 10, 2012
  8. Tim

Kemical

Ok as promised above here's those pictures... Hope they're some help:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can also see how I've built my Start menu up too, just as a reference of course.. :)

Kemical, Mar 10, 2012
    Ian likes this.
  9. Tim

davehc

Apart from an overall disappointment with the "improved" performance, the start interface is my only complaint. I am a clean desktop user and have, for years, kept my shortcuts in folders. I am totally familiar with the contents, which are all two clicks away. I am totally overawed by the vast array of shortcuts which Metro now throws at me.

Attached Files:

davehc, Mar 10, 2012
  10. Tim

Kemical

I hate icons on my desktop too and like you created my own folders in the All programs area to tidy things away. I've tried this with 8 but it just takes you to the desktop and shows the contents of the folder, which is kinda half way there but not what I or you is looking for.. As for performance I think it's on a par with 7 but not sure if this will improve with future versions? I do love however how the GUI and games look under the new 1.2 WDM driver.. Games look fantastic and I can see this being a real gamers os simply because of how good it looks. There seems to be a real vibrancy to the graphics which I didn't get in 7.

Kemical, Mar 10, 2012
  11. Tim

Tim

OK - well I found Control Panel via the pesonalization dialog ... and subsequently via All Apps . - ok

I increased the VHD to 80GB, the RAM to 4096 and the Video Ram to 125 MB .. but still perfomance is sluggish ..

I went for a coffee - came back - program froze ..

I tried to start Windows Media Center - program froze

Not sure if VBox sucks or this installation - but its almost at a state where I dont have the patience to play with it

tried to save a jpg from paint (of screen shot) got error that librairies not available ..
    T.

Tim, Mar 12, 2012
  12. Tim

Kemical

Tim just to mention that a couple of us had to re download 8 consumer again due to the files being incomplete. Since then mine runs so well I'm using it as a primary os.. I've never used virtualbox myself but a new download and a slow burn (no faster than 4x) to iso may be helpful?

Kemical, Mar 12, 2012
  13. Tim

Kemical

Bit more refining on the start menu:

[​IMG]

This is it in it's entirety:

[​IMG]

Kemical, Mar 13, 2012
  14. Tim

davehc

Very pretty. I fancy the idea -leaving the desktop large.

davehc, Mar 13, 2012
  15. Tim

Kemical

Well apart from the icons in the taskbar (I have Outlook, W-Explorer and IE) everything else is literally one click away.

Kemical, Mar 14, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question