Inspiron 15z 5523 Ultrabook not turning on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AmgedIsmail, Jan 3, 2015.

1. AmgedIsmail

AmgedIsmail

Hello,
    First, this laptop is so so valuable to me because it has a touch screen.
    Now I used it for about 8 months.

The last time I installed Windows 8.1 on it was on 5th October 2014 and it's running just very fine and excellent til now without a single BSOD.

But I faced a strange issue lately, this was the second time happened two days ago.
    The first time it happened was on 18th November 2014.

The problem is that suddenly when I press the power button laptop wont turn on at all even when It is also plugged in.

I searched over the internet and I came up into this site which solves this problem so I found that solution but I just want to extremely know what causes this miserable issue.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I remove the RAM cover and use a pin to press that little button and when I turn it now. It is just fine. Now this is the second TIME I do this.

So what is that all about? What does this RESET button have to do with the laptop not turning on?
    Is this related to the operating system (Windows 8.1)? But how would Windows not turn on the power? So strange!! :confused:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
    AmgedIsmail, Jan 3, 2015
    1. Advertisements

2. AmgedIsmail

Shintaro Moderator

Not sure what causes it as I don't have a touch screen. But also what was the brand / model?
    Have you looked for a firmware update? Or even updated drivers.

Shintaro, Jan 3, 2015
    1. Advertisements

3. AmgedIsmail

AmgedIsmail

It's DELL Inspiron 15z 5523.
    Can the outdated drivers cause the laptop not turning on sometimes?
    But which driver?
    I think I have the latest ones from DELL website not from Intel website.

AmgedIsmail, Jan 3, 2015
  4. AmgedIsmail

Shintaro Moderator

What makes me think that it is a firmware issue, is that you are required to hard reset the device.

Normally I would not suggest the firmware update, but your situation is different.

So I would suggest that you go to the Dell support website and make sure that you have the latest firmware and drivers.

Shintaro, Jan 4, 2015
  5. AmgedIsmail

AmgedIsmail

Well, I am sure I have the latest drivers from DELL website.
    And I also downloaded the Firmware driver here is what I get after extracting the ZIP file. The setup shows only the CD Rom drive and I don't understand what should be done with this file.

Attached Files:

AmgedIsmail, Jan 4, 2015
  6. AmgedIsmail

Twinn480

I had the same issue with my 15z 5523 and did the whole reset thing but that stopped working for me. My laptop will not come on anymore. I have removed the battery and held the power button to release any charge, as well as plug in the power cord without the battery and still nothing. I then purchased a new battery and installed but again nothing works at all not even an indicator light. This is so upsetting to pay so much money for a laptop that stopped working after less than a year of minimal use. Anyone have any other ideas?

Twinn480, Aug 17, 2015
  7. AmgedIsmail

Muh Mustharshid

I have solved the problem of no POST, or booting and black screen on Dell Inspiron 15z 5523 (this may apply to other laptops of the same series). Sometimes, you may hear different beeps - which is not consistent. I know it's very late, but wants to help people who would read this after having the same problem.

This problem started after I upgraded to Windows 10 and updated BIOS. This also happens when I tried to boot from external HDD.

When this happens, if you try to force shut down (holding the power button for 6 seconds and leaving) and restart continuously, you can make the PC start. You may have to try this 10s of time - every time after reseating and pressing reset button (this button is visible when you open the RAM compartment - read the manual). If this does not work, remove the BIOS battery (refer manual how to disassemble the laptop) and wait for 15 minutes and replace, then try. You may have to do this several times.

Before trying the above mentioned restart procedure make sure to create a bootable DOS USB flash disk and download and save a new BOIS firmware (this can be freely downloaded from Dell website) on the disk. If you already have the latest BIOS firmware, download a lower version of the firmware.

When the laptop boots (by chance as explained above) make sure your USB flash disk is already inserted on the laptop. Keep pressing F12 (in quick succession) before even you see anything on the screen. This will land you on the boot screen. Now choose the USB drive that you have inserted as the boot device - this will bring you to the DOS prompt.

Now type: DIR and press enter.

You will now see a list of files in the USB drive. Type the name of the file exactly as it appears on the list. Press enter.

If it says that your firmware version is lower than the existing version, type the name of the file with /forceit switch (eg: 5523A05.EXE /forceit)

This will start the updating process and ask you for confirmation - press Y.

Once this completes, the problem with your laptop will be solved. The problem may come back if you try to boot again from an external hard disk.

The problem is not with the motherboard but with the BIOS. Enjoy.

Muh Mustharshid, Nov 2, 2016
    1. Advertisements