Improving Wi-Fi Strength

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by airplayne, Jul 17, 2013.

1. airplayne

airplayne

airplayne, Jul 17, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. airplayne

Ian Administrator

Quite probably, although not to the same degree. Why not give it a whirl :D.

I've got a blind-spot in my kitchen, so do let me know if it works and I'll give it a try too!

Ian, Jul 18, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. airplayne

davehc

This bit must be a joke?

"foil but it works better if you microwave the foil first"

Ever tried microwaving metal?

Seriously.- I think you may have an internal antenna of some kind. I did this, a while ago, with a saucepan lid. My grandchildren wanted to sit in the garden with their laptops. - It worked. But, I would imagine, if you can be a little more imaginative and create a well shaped parabola, the results could be quite significant.

davehc, Jul 18, 2013
  4. airplayne

airplayne

@davehc, actually it is not that farfetched to put aluminum in the microwave. The trick is to make sure there are no wrinkles in it, thus removing the possibility of arching. Of course it would be a rather pain to try and find a completely flawless, flat piece of foil, but it will work.

airplayne, Jul 18, 2013
  5. airplayne

davehc

It is one of those "Don't try this at home" things, as far as I am concerned. As I don't have budget for a new microwave, I'll leave it to others!

davehc, Jul 19, 2013
  6. airplayne

Black_Epiphany

Purchase a Wi Fi booster such as THIS or THIS to improve your signal strength. These have been proven to work fairly well. Don't microwave any foil. :)

Black_Epiphany, Nov 29, 2013
  7. airplayne

davehc

"Don't microwave any foil."
    In view of the age of the last post in this thread, I think, perhaps, he did! -LOL

davehc, Nov 30, 2013
    Ian likes this.
  8. airplayne

MyDigitalpoint

I'm having trouble with my Wi-Fi strength --- think son -- because at some range I cannot even connect with open signals having a message that says "it's taking too long to connect" and cancelling the attempt.

However I don't think that the suggestions posted at that site are serious. Someone told me that it was better to buy and external Wi-Fi antenna to improve strength, only that I don't have money right now for this.

MyDigitalpoint, Dec 2, 2013
  9. airplayne

airplayne

I am with @MyDigitalpoint on this one as I really don't have funds for this either. I guess I will either have to wait for a couple of months or so.

airplayne, Dec 2, 2013
  10. airplayne

MorgUK

If you're on a laptop I think there is a way to make sure the WiFi chip is using full power, instead of battery saving. That could help, give it a Google.

MorgUK, Dec 12, 2013
  11. airplayne

orz

Moving my wireless wifi adapter a few metres to an area which is more open and closer to the router accomplished more than I'd imagine any of those techniques to. If the problem really is that bad I'd recommend looking at a new router/wireless hot spot booster.

orz, Jan 1, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question