If Windows 8 pro is downloaded now from Microsoft , will it have the latest patches and updates ?

Discussion in 'Installation, Setup and Upgrades' started by mahanddeem, Apr 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mahanddeem

mahanddeem

Hello
    I purchased Windows 8 Pro around 3 months ago back when it was for 39.99$ from Microsoft as a digital download , already made a media in a USB driver and installed it sometime ago , used it for a week or so , but for some reasons I came back to Windows 7 HP ...
    Now I am thinking of giving Windows 8 another chance , I know how to download it again from MS (by using the same 5mb .exe setup program , entering my serial number and re-download the ISO) BUT :

Will that ISO (if downloaded today) have the latest updates and patches to this moment ? or it's exactly the same as the ISO I already have since Jan. 2013 when made the purchase ?

Thanks

mahanddeem, Apr 19, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. mahanddeem

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

It's going to have the same content as it did before. You apply the patches from Microsoft Update.

Core, Apr 19, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. mahanddeem

davehc

That is catch No.1. !5 minutes to install and another 15 to download and install the updates - lol.

davehc, Apr 19, 2013
  4. mahanddeem

mahanddeem

Maybe , but having files written , then over-written (and some leftovers) is not very neat to say the least !!! PLUS I honestly want to just spend the first 5 min of install time ! :)
    A whole clean setup is what I aim for ... It might be now 15 min to install W8 updates , what about some 6 months later or a year from now ?

mahanddeem, Apr 20, 2013
  5. mahanddeem

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

Applying even single patch entails more than just copying a file over and replacing an older one. There are registry modifications to be made, for example, plus these changes (including the files themselves) are usually architecture-specific, so you need 32- and 64-bit versions.

Incorporating these changes into the installation utility is a time-consuming process. Furthermore, in order to maintain version cohesion in distribution, builds are typically frozen when a DVD or a digital download ISO is created. Due to the fluid nature of patching, changes can be and are applied "on the fly". Very recently, a patch was released that had to later be withdrawn when problems with it were found. This can be done very quickly through Microsoft Update, and extremely slowly through ISO releases. This is why new ISOs aren't usually built, or new store copies aren't manufactured, until a service pack is produced.

Updating your system in Windows 8 is a fluid experience as it happens in the background, and very rarely do you have to reboot your system immediately for the changes to be applied. In most cases they are kept waiting for when you happen to restart your system next. So while I agree that a rolling update system a la Debian would be nice in some respects, it is hardly a big deal.

Core, Apr 20, 2013
  6. mahanddeem

mahanddeem

Thanks for the replies ...

mahanddeem, Apr 23, 2013
  7. mahanddeem

Victor Leigh

Seriously speaking, I don't quite understand the problem here. On my Windows 8, I get updates every now and then and when I re-start, the updates are applied. Did I miss something here?

Victor Leigh, Apr 28, 2013
  8. mahanddeem

davehc

I think you should refer to the op. His question, as I understood it, was, if he installs Windows 8 today, will it have the latest updates and patches. No, not on installation. He will need to grab them from the windows updating service. It could take a while.

davehc, Apr 28, 2013
  9. mahanddeem

mahanddeem

Yes you did...Please read my op....

Question solved mods...Got the answer already thanks.
    Please close the thread

mahanddeem, Apr 28, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question