If this is a Windows 8 forum then...

Discussion in 'Announcements, Suggestions and Feedback' started by crazycroc, May 13, 2013.

1. crazycroc

crazycroc

If this is a Windows 8 forum then what's up with the Vista style graphics/theme? I mean I know it makes no difference to the functionality of the forum, but I just thought it was a little odd.

crazycroc, May 13, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. crazycroc

Ian Administrator

I've dabbled with a Metro style theme for the forums, so perhaps it will get a re-fresh soon to more suit Windows 8 :).

Ian, May 13, 2013
    Trouble likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. crazycroc

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Looking forward to that. Unlike, apparently most of the rest of the world, I do enjoy change from time to time. Keeps things fresh and interesting.

Trouble, May 13, 2013
    Ian likes this.
  4. crazycroc

crazycroc

Sounds like a good idea to also help differentiate from your w7forums.com site.

crazycroc, May 14, 2013
  5. crazycroc

davehc

Maybe you could have something like this;

forumswindows8.com

Click the little note top right "Change style"
    Personally, I find it too much in my face and have the normal style as my default.

davehc, May 14, 2013
  6. crazycroc

Ian Administrator

That's so metro I don't think I'd be able to use it comfortably for forums - although it's a very clever forum layout.

Here's a very rough mockup of the forums which is uses a slightly different template to what we've got at the moment:

1.jpg

It's not hugely different, but if the consensus is that it is better, I can switch it over :).

Ian, May 14, 2013
  7. crazycroc

Ian Administrator

Ignore the screenshot above, as I've added it as a test template so you can try it out on the site :)

Just click the "Windows 8 Forums" link in the bottom left hand corner and this will bring up a template selection menu. Choose "...V2" and it will bring up a test version of the new template. What do you think of it, better or worse?

edit: I've made the new style default for now to see how it goes down :).

Ian, May 14, 2013
  8. crazycroc

Definitely prefer v2.... but honestly only slightly.
    I thought you might be aiming for something a little more out of the box.
    Something where the subs are trapped in box type frames and stylized by an image and some attractive text.
    The color scheme is fine and much better than most but I was maybe hoping for something that didn't look like every other forum for a change.
    Ignore the horrid color scheme as it's more or less a ladies recipe forum but something like this.....
    http://yumforum.com/

Trouble, May 14, 2013
  9. crazycroc

Ian Administrator

I'm a little worried that if I pick something too out of the box then it may put the casual user off - although it would be very fun to design. Perhaps we could have a choice of layouts, but I'd probably still want to set the default as the standard-style one so that it didn't deter new users :).

Ian, May 14, 2013
  10. crazycroc

airplayne

Is there any way to allow users to select their own theme?

airplayne, Jun 7, 2013
  11. crazycroc

Ian Administrator

There is, but at the moment there's only the one theme. In time I'm sure that we'll add some more :). There's a big upgrade to XenForo in the next few weeks (including a responsive style), so there's not much point me coding a new one now as I'll have to re-do it again very soon.

Ian, Jun 10, 2013
  12. crazycroc

airplayne

Ah, I see. Good call.

airplayne, Jun 10, 2013
  13. crazycroc

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

I think you should add 5, no, make it 10 new themes, if only so that whenever you add a new feature into the forum you get to manually go in and change the code in each of them to incorporate it into the designs.

Core, Jun 11, 2013
    Ian likes this.
  14. crazycroc

airplayne

I am not sure, but I think I might be detecting a smidge of sarcasm in this thread.

airplayne, Jun 11, 2013
    Ian and Core like this.
  15. crazycroc

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

:D It's just been one of those days...

I agree with you though, it's always nice to have theme options. Although I think the current theme looks pretty cool, I usually choose darker themes on sites where it is possible, because my eyes tend to be sensitive to light.

Core, Jun 11, 2013
  16. crazycroc

airplayne

Dark themes are cool, but it depends on the balance. There is a forum listed on postloop where the background is all black and the text is white. Very hard on the eyes. Didn't end up signing up on that site just because of the theme, and because they really did not offer any alternatives.

airplayne, Jun 11, 2013
  17. crazycroc

It's remarkable when you think about it, how the minutiae is so important, attracting visitors and members.
    You would think that a visitor / member would be attracted by the content and it's relative value to his or her concerns but it would seem that something like, one small mistake in theme might send potential visitors fleeing.
    Probably best to stay away from anything too drastic and maintain a more or less neutral overall theme to be safe.

Trouble, Jun 11, 2013
    Ian likes this.
  18. crazycroc

airplayne

Functionality is also a huge factor and can be a deal breaker if things are too clunky or not very user-friendly. Personally, I like the Xenforo forum template. It is very clean and rather intuitive. I have been considering using it on my site, but have to justify shelling out the licensing fee first.

airplayne, Jun 11, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question