If Internet Explorer is so bad, why keep releasing newer versions?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NickJ, Oct 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NickJ

NickJ

If IE is such a terrible browser, why does Microsoft keep releasing new versions? IE9 is out now, and at some point. With everybody now jumping to Chrome, won't Microsoft just have to make an IE final or ultimate version and call it a day?

NickJ, Oct 24, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. NickJ

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

For reasons beyond my comprehension, many people seem to like Internet Explorer. In this day and age it is expected that an operating system features a web browser. It is all the more important now that brand-loyal ecosystems have become more of a standard, and software companies are supposed to specialize in everything at once.

Core, Oct 24, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. NickJ

lucasbytegenius

I still don't get why some people like IE over Chrome or at least Firefox, it's the crappiest browser I've ever used. I hate having to tweak my designs to work better in it, because it's so much trouble.

However, IE10 looks pretty good, don't have to fix anything on my sites on it. Still don't recommend people use it though.

lucasbytegenius, Oct 24, 2012
  4. NickJ

NickJ

Well they like IE because without it your operating system cannot run. When you install windows first and foremost, you cannot get online without IE. From there, you can download any other online browser like MSN, Firefox, Safari, Chrome, etc. And packaging the newest IE release with the newest windows release keeps people hooked on IE. Especially considering microsoft is the creator of both windows and IE. But chrome is so superior. Better looking and quicker and less glitchy.

NickJ, Oct 25, 2012
  5. NickJ

lucasbytegenius

I wish Microsoft gave you a choice of which browser to install as the default like they do with the UK version. In the UK, they're forced to give users a menu with browser choices, and IE isn't installed by default.

lucasbytegenius, Oct 31, 2012
  6. NickJ

NickJ

Interesting. So you can install the latest version of windows in the UK with Chrome as the default browser and no IE at all?

NickJ, Nov 2, 2012
  7. NickJ

jubbly

I have always despised IE with a vengeance.

But, bizarrely, in my windows 8 setup, IE9 is actually the fastest and most stable browser. I have firefox, chrome and opera installed too and they do not seem as fast.

Is 8 optimised for IE or is this a ruse by MS to make other browsers slower in IE?

jubbly, Nov 3, 2012
  8. NickJ

Guardian

Thanks to a lawsuit claiming Microsoft's monopoly of internet browsers, which they lost, they now have to give you the option. So yes, you can. But it's not by their choice so don't expect to see that here.

I think most people stick with IE because the majority of people that use the internet are just casual browsers. They know no better, and stick with what they are comfortbale with, or don't go looking for it. Years ago I finally got my parents and grandparents using Firefox because I took the time to install it and hide IE from the obvious places. They're still using Firefox because I havent taken the time to do it again, this time with Chrome.

Guardian, Nov 3, 2012
  9. NickJ

Victor Leigh

I don't mind IE. Like someone said, if it's not bundled with Windows then I would have a problem getting onto the net to get my favorite browser, Firefox. I don't suppose I can totally give up IE since there are still millions of people using it and I need to find out how my sites look like in IE, too.

Victor Leigh, Nov 4, 2012
  10. NickJ

Guardian

I run a website and I only test compatibility with Firefox, Chrome, and Maxthon. It may sound kind of elitist but if you're still using IE, and my site doesn't work for you, I will just tell you to upgrade.

Guardian, Nov 4, 2012
  11. NickJ

clifford (c_c)

It's my understanding that IE is so integrated with the OS, it's impossible to remove IE. With the selection screen IE is only disabled but yet still on the system.

clifford, Nov 4, 2012
  12. NickJ

Victor Leigh

Not too sure about that. I think I did remove IE once. I must have a closer look to see whether it's still lurking in there somewhere. The Windows uninstall function generally doesn't do a clean uninstall.

Victor Leigh, Nov 4, 2012
  13. NickJ

As of Windows 7, you can remove Internet Explorer. European versions of Windows do include Internet Explorer, but as of, I think, Win 7 SP1 there's now a browser selection window that offers download links to Opera, Firefox, and a few others. What I am not sure of is whether the browser selection window is shipped with the OS or whether it's among the Windows Update patches; all I know is every time I reinstall Windows 7 I get the browser selection window sooner or later.

While Windows does not need Internet Explorer to be installed anymore, removing it doesn't remove components like the engine that enables IE to render web pages, so I see very little reason to remove it. I personally just remove the shortcuts to it from my desktop, download a different browser, and forget about it.

Core, Nov 4, 2012
    Guardian likes this.
  14. NickJ

NickJ

Maxthon? What's that? Does it have any strong or solid future potential?

NickJ, Nov 6, 2012
  15. NickJ

It's one of the browsers offered in Windows' browser selection window by default. I've never tried it, I am happy enough with Chrome.

Core, Nov 6, 2012
  16. NickJ

NickJ

Ah I see. Yeah I love Chrome. Before Chrome, I was using the latest version of MSN to do my browsing and stuff. No way I was using IE. It's too ugly. Now, I use Chrome 80% of the time. I use MSN the other 20%. IE is not even in the conversation.

NickJ, Nov 6, 2012
  17. NickJ

Guardian

I haven't seen it yet. I still use it occasionally, but they claim the newest version is 200% faster than Google Chrome. Maybe should update and see? I am not all that impressed with it, but it has eked it's way into third place on my personal list of browsers. I spent some time trying as many as could to find which ones I liked the best, and it came out closer to the top. Still not Chrome though.

Guardian, Nov 6, 2012
  18. NickJ

NickJ

200% faster than Chrome? My chrome is ultra-fast. So I guess Browsing on Maxthon would literally push your skin and hair back as you sit in your desk chair if it's that fast.

NickJ, Nov 7, 2012
  19. NickJ

lucasbytegenius

Yep, and that's awesome.
    Maxthon is unnecessary if you have Chrome, it's based on Webkit just like Chrome is, so webpages look the same unless you use the IE mode in it. Besides that, Maxthon has such a tiny user base it's not worth making sites work in it even if they are broken. Same way with Opera, even though I love it.
    I say that's total BS, it's based off of Webkit like Chrome is, it can't be that much faster. It's also got a crapton of features that don't make any sense, and because of that it's interface is very cluttered.

lucasbytegenius, Nov 7, 2012
  20. NickJ

Victor Leigh

Slightly off-topic.

If you like Chrome but you are not happy with the way it tracks your surfing, then you can consider using Iron which is exactly the same as Chrome with all the tracking removed.

Victor Leigh, Nov 8, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question