IE 10 in Windows 8

Discussion in 'Customization' started by davehc, Sep 16, 2011.

1. davehc

davehc

I was having some difficulty using IE10. I found a few sites threw up some strange phenomena. I was also unable to multi task with more than one instance of IE running - they froze. (I know - why not tab!! - just one of my habits)
    Anyway, the problems were solved by selecting compatibility mode for ALL sites. Pretty pleased with IE10 now. I am under the impression it is faster, but haven't really timed it.

davehc, Sep 16, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. davehc

Ian Administrator

I've not noticed any problems with IE10 so far, but I've not used the browser for more than a couple of hours. I agree that it does seem faster, although I don't know if it's just my mind playing tricks on me - I'm sure some benchmarks will crop up soon :). I'd be very interested to see what changes are in IE10, so I'll do some digging and see what I can find.

Ian, Sep 16, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. davehc

Ian Administrator

The best overview of changes seems to be on this Wikipedia Entry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Explorer_10), as new things have been added in each release. The CSS3 improvements are very welcome indeed - some of the more simple ones like CSS Text shadow have been in FF and Chrome for some time now.

Ian, Sep 16, 2011
  4. davehc

Elmer BeFuddled

I noticed a problem when typing on some websites. When you hit the return key to start a new paragraph nothing was happening. Not tried with Dave's method, I threw FF in too fast.

Elmer BeFuddled, Sep 16, 2011
  5. davehc

matt mckee

matt mckee, Sep 18, 2011
  6. davehc

Ace

I'm against IE, the only reason it's popular is because it's a default install on Windows machines. If you look back at something like Google Chrome's speed, they have improved their security greatly over time. And their idea with running each tab almost like a new process is genius. Firefox has improved a lot as well, I would recommend versions of Firefox from 7.0 and up and you'll notice that the speed is almost identical to chrome, and possibly faster? IE isn't that secure though, they've got lots of money though, and have funded security tests to put them on a better rank in the past. I was using IE on Windows 8 for the first couple days, and I just couldn't bare it, I switched over to SRWare Iron like I have on my Windows machine, and finally some better speed in my browsing time...

Ace, Sep 19, 2011
  7. davehc

cluckis

I have to agree with you, I personally use Chrome. It seems that a lot of people don't know the choice of browsers out there. Nothing against IE, but there are a few good competitors out there. I would only use Firefox, and Chrome as my browsers though.

cluckis, May 10, 2012
  8. davehc

TheMightyEddy

Why is everyone using IE still? I thought Chrome was supposed to take over the world! :)

But anyways, IE does really suck and it's unsupported by many developers. I would just go with Chrome or Firefox.

TheMightyEddy, May 10, 2012
  9. davehc

Henry Lee

I'm running Win8 on the MSI Windpad 110w tablet. I encountered flash issues on some sites & was notified to update the flash player. When you try to install flash, it cant install as the browser is open!

Also on sites like tabletpcreview forum, I can't type replies at all. When you put the cursor on the reply box space, the on screen keyboard appears & screen resizes for one second. Then the keyboard disappears. I dont encounter this issue when typing on search engines or MS Office programs. Has anyone encountered this on the tablet?

Henry Lee, May 18, 2012
  10. davehc

Michael Phan

The new IE has a hard time loading videos like on YouTube due to the lack of flash capability. I know some videos work on HTML5 but many websites still rely on flash for functionality. I ended up installing flash player on my computer and using a different browser because videos were not playing.

Michael Phan, Jun 14, 2012
  11. davehc

neovlad

I think that IE 10 is great it might even be better than chrome which was my big favorite I really hope Microsoft can keep up the good work and make better programs like this.

neovlad, Aug 17, 2012
  12. davehc

habibk20

IE is good for nothing as its integrated into Windows... The best browser is Chrome and FireFox.

habibk20, Sep 11, 2012
  13. davehc

lucasbytegenius

I'm not liking IE10 or any version of IE, really, because of its poor support for modern web standards. It still has problems with box shadows and other CSS3 stuff, while my designs render perfectly on Chrome and Firefox.

lucasbytegenius, Oct 6, 2012
  14. davehc

Tchégéda

IE10 in Windows 8 mode strictly limits Flash, just like Microsoft said it would

Tchégéda, Oct 13, 2012
  15. davehc

lucasbytegenius

Just to come back to this thread, I will mention I like the font smoothing in IE10. However, I can get decent global font smoothing with a program called MacType so things are fine.

lucasbytegenius, Oct 22, 2012
  16. davehc

NickJ

I am waiting for IE to make itself look better visually. After all of these years it's still ugly. IE11 needs to take a page from google chrome.

NickJ, Oct 26, 2012
  17. davehc

lucasbytegenius

Or create it's own "page" preferably, I'd hate to see IE copy Chrome. IE10 looks nice I admit in Metro mode, but it's still got the IE9 skin on the desktop.

lucasbytegenius, Oct 27, 2012
  18. davehc

EmoPopsicle

I actually really like the new IE10. I don't know why it gets flamed so much though - speed comparisons have been made that indicate that IE is catching up to Firefox and Chrome in terms of speed. The UI is very nice and clean, and I personally use it over Chrome. I don't know if it's just me, but Firefox is a bit too clunky and Chrome still has privacy issues, such as the inability to disable history.

EmoPopsicle, Nov 16, 2012
  19. davehc

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

I tried Chrome many times over the years and never really liked it better than Firefox. It was fast, yes, but lacked the add-ons I liked on Firefox, and had no proper sync function.

I gave it another try as a lark a couple of months ago on my Mac, and it's awesome. Much better than I even expected. The add-ons I like are supported on it, it exists on all my platforms (Mac, Windows, even iOS which Firefox still doesn't exist for afaik), and the sync is automatic and seamless. Impressed! I wish I could move the toolbar buttons around to my liking à la Firefox, but you can't have everything.

IE10 is alright I guess, I haven't bothered with it since it's just one-platform. I hate the Metro version though, but I'm sure it's intuitive in its own way if you spend enough time with it.

Core, Nov 16, 2012
  20. davehc

EmoPopsicle

I totally agree that Chrome is quite lacking in add-ons. There still isn't enough flexibility in the way that Google designed Chrome - they have the essentials down, like Themes, Ad-Blocker, Proxies, and others, but I still feel that the "Google Marketplace" is lacking in terms of versatility.

EmoPopsicle, Nov 16, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question