Ideas for getting new members...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Ian, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Ian

Ian Administrator

Now that Windows 8 Developer Preview has launched, I'm working on building up traffic and members to the site so that we can have some great discussion :).

I was wondering how you all found the Windows 7 website in the first place, as that would help me know what to focus on for trying to attract new members to this site. For example, was it googling for the answer to a problem, looking for an article or word of mouth?

Ian, Sep 16, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. Ian

Elmer BeFuddled

For me it was googling for an answer.

Can't remember what the question was though!

Elmer BeFuddled, Sep 16, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. Ian

clifford (c_c)

I was the same as Elmer, I did a search for "Windows 7". After logging in, I then ask my question.

clifford, Sep 16, 2011
  4. Ian

TrainableMan ^ The World's First ^ Moderator

Yep, had an issue and I searched with Yahoo. w7forums wasn't the first I went to, probably the third, but the others didn't come off as friendly.

Like when people ask, "how can I use the old menu" I felt it annoying to read one reply "why would you want to do that?" If you come for answers you want answers not some smart a$$ saying it's a stupid question. w7forums wasn't like that, the people seemed friendly and actually tried to help, so I stayed.

TrainableMan, Sep 17, 2011
    Elmer BeFuddled likes this.
  5. Ian

davehc

I think I must have googled - can't remember. But, tongue in cheek, I have dropped a subtle word now and again and have a few old colleagues on these pages from other sites.

davehc, Sep 17, 2011
  6. Ian

Ian Administrator

Thanks folks :). Hopefully we can replicate the feeling of w7forums over here and get it just as active.

Ian, Sep 17, 2011
  7. Ian

Ace

For me I was just trying to find another Windows 7 forum to share and gain knowledge from, so I had the keywords of "Windows 7" in google definitely. It was a while back, I may have typed in "Windows 7 forum" or "forums".

SevenForums didn't treat me all that well. They have an abusive poweradmin apparently, so I didn't enjoy it. I was banned for an unknown reason, no word even after some form of contact to both admins. Brink himself was a good guy, it was the other guy that tried picking on me with most of my posts. I earned the developer's title there given to me by Brink, and after the 3rd day I was banned. I think it could have had something to do with having my forum url in plain text embedded on the form of a couple of my applications/programs I released to get the developers title there, but i'll never know. None of my applications are damaging to a computer system, and I couldn't think of anything else I could have possibly done wrong. Either way i'm not going to decompile my previous application just to remove it so they can get the benefit of my efforts to show them a program I created... It was there for a copyright reason. Oh well, all my posts were removed, and I lost the developer userbar and all for some reason. Banned by my IP there too, but I can tell you I won't ever be visiting that forum again. I'll find an excuse to find information elsewhere, and help other competition forums out.

Ultimately I just want a community where I can help people out, preferably a friendly community where I might learn something myself too, so that may be a priority for you to possibly reach out to other users viewing this forum too.

I hope this forum becomes a success in the future. I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of newfound knowledge a successful Windows 8 forum can bring :). It may influence my personal opinion on Windows 8 and my motivation to buy it later on.

Ace, Sep 19, 2011
  8. Ian

Nibiru2012 Moderator

For me, it was believe it or not; Google "Windows 7 forum websites". Yes... true story! That's what I Googled.

Nibiru2012, Sep 19, 2011
  9. Ian

Capt.Jack Sparrow

I reached here by Google something about BSOD :)

Capt.Jack Sparrow, Sep 19, 2011
  10. Ian

agoodwriter

You can always buy traffic from another websites. As this forum is based at windows 8 you need to get targeted traffic, people who are interested about this topic.

agoodwriter, Apr 9, 2012
  11. Ian

Victor Leigh

I heard about Windows 8 from another forum. What intrigued me was that Windows 8 is supposed to use less resources. So I googled to get more information. And here I am.

Victor Leigh, Apr 26, 2012
    Ian likes this.
  12. Ian

davehc

There isn't much relevant traffic on any Windows 8 forums, at present. But it has occurred to me of late that the rather unconventional navigation in the forum might turn new finders away. Any thoughts?

davehc, Apr 26, 2012
  13. Ian

Victor Leigh

Unconventional navigation? I don't see much difference from other forums which I have posted on. Any way, here's are some ideas which may get this forum noticed by the search engines.

1. Post user experiences on how major programs work in Windows 8.
    2. Start a directory on wallpaper for Windows 8.
    3. Make a listing of Windows 8 addons.

Victor Leigh, Apr 26, 2012
    clifford likes this.
  14. Ian

davehc

OK. Horses for courses, perhaps. I also visit several forums daily, but had a little problem finding some of the previously known features here. "Marking as read" , and subscribed threads, for example, got me for a while. Still haven't found how to see the days posts (Not new) That was not a difference experience for you? But it was just a conversational suggestion in the context of this thread.

davehc, Apr 27, 2012
  15. Ian

Victor Leigh

I see. Now that you have pointed it out, I can see the differences. I haven't noticed them before because I always click on new posts and there was enough interesting posts to keep me going. I think those features you mentioned are rather standard things. Wonder why they were disabled for this forum.

A couple of days ago, I was talking in another forum about how I can get referrals to win a referral contest. That was when an idea popped into my head. I want to share it here.

1. Get a reseller hosting account. You can buy one with 500Gb disk space for about 50usd per month.
    2. Set up a referral contest with hosting plans as prizes.
    3. Sweeten the deal this way. Set a target of, say, 1000 new members. If the target is achieved, then everyone who has referred a new member gets a free hosting plan. If the target is not achieved, then all referrers can still get the hosting plan for just a token 1usd.

What do you think?

Victor Leigh, Apr 29, 2012
  16. Ian

davehc

Almost Nothing is really disabled - they are just moved around. But, probably because of my own methods of use, I do miss the convenience of a couple of items, such as, for example, "Today's posts"" But maybe the item is around somewhere?

davehc, Apr 29, 2012
  17. Ian

Victor Leigh

Can't you just talk to whoever set this up? He would the best person to know where everything is. That's assuming that he's still around.

Victor Leigh, Apr 29, 2012
  18. Ian

davehc

Just pm Ian. (First Post) A very understanding gentleman. But he reads these posts on a regular basis, and responds accordingly.

davehc, Apr 29, 2012
  19. Ian

Ian Administrator

Sorry for the delay in responding, Victor. I've been away for the weekend at a 70th birthday party and got back a few hours ago :).

I like your ideas for the wallpaper and addons - so once the forum software (XenForo) has the "resource manager" addond publically released, I'll develop something to cater for this. I'm going to be doing quite a big upgrade once the next forum version is out (including improving the design to make some of the hidden options more familiar).

P.S - Very kind of you Dave :D

Ian, Apr 30, 2012
  20. Ian

Victor Leigh

How about starting the ball rolling by just adding a section on wallpapers? Or do we have it already?

btw whose 70th birthday was it? I am still a decade from my own 70th birthday but I hope to get there on my own feet.

Victor Leigh, May 2, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question