ICQ version that allows chat between PC & Win8.1 phone-without-wifi

Discussion in 'Tablet / Surface Devices' started by Joseph PHILIPPA, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Joseph PHILIPPA

Joseph PHILIPPA

I understand that ICQ used to allow exchange of SMS between PCs and phones-without-internet (before there were 'smart' phones). ICQ has not answered me whether that is still available. I need that facility now. The latest ICQ needs internet. Old ICQ versions are available. I want to know if that old-style ICQ still works, and if so, what latest version should be installed on the PC and also what latest version on the phone. I intend to post this question to a new forum every day until I get a satisfactory answer. EDIT : Phone is android, NOT win8.1

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
    Joseph PHILIPPA, Nov 21, 2015
    1. Advertisements

2. Joseph PHILIPPA

bassfisher6522

ICQ was/is and internet based software....that's how it works, it has to use the internet to communicate. So I truly don't understand what you're asking

bassfisher6522, Nov 21, 2015
    1. Advertisements

3. Joseph PHILIPPA

Joseph PHILIPPA

I may have been misinformed. I was told that the original ICQ worked between (pre-smart) phones and PCs. If that is wrong, then I see why you do not understand. I myself never used ICQ THEN, but I did use Yahoo Messenger which could do that. Yahoo Messenger can no longer, but I thought/hoped that maybe ICQ could and can.

Joseph PHILIPPA, Nov 21, 2015
  4. Joseph PHILIPPA

bassfisher6522

Sending an SMS from a PC on any chat service to a phone including pre-smart phones requires the internet.

bassfisher6522, Nov 21, 2015
  5. Joseph PHILIPPA

Joseph PHILIPPA

OBVIOUSLY the PC has to have internet; but as I understand it, pre-smart phones did NOT have internet; Yahoo Messenger used to be able to send SMS between a PC-with-internet and a phone-without-internet, but can NO LONGER do so. I believe ICQ could also do that. What am asking is : does that ICQ service still exist, and if so, which of the old versions should be installed on the PC to exploit that (and on the phone ?) ?

Joseph PHILIPPA, Nov 22, 2015
  6. Joseph PHILIPPA

bassfisher6522

That was the beauty of cell phones, they didn't need internet....they used their own mobile service.

No...PC had to have internet and the phone used the mobile service to send texts. I had a none smart phone and sent texts to/from my phone to any device that used software to receive SMS messages.The only catch for a PC was; it had to use software (a program) like Yahoo messenger, MS messenger or Skype to send texts. I did this all the time.

For ICQ: you would need to check that out with them. I never used it other than a chat service.
    https://icq.com/windows/en

bassfisher6522, Nov 22, 2015
  7. Joseph PHILIPPA

Joseph PHILIPPA

'NO' I do not understand why you 'contradict' me, because after NO, you go on to outline the same scenario as I had - a PC with internet and a phone with its phone service (as distinct from internet). Your first two comments show that we are finally on the same page. Having a program on a PC is NOT a catch for me, so long as I know what program to install - AND whether such exchanges are still possible on a phone-without-internet.

'I never used it other than a chat service" isn't that what sending SMSs is - a chat service ?

'you would need to check that out with them' I said in my post that ICQ has declined to answer me so I am asking forums where people DO respond.

Joseph PHILIPPA, Nov 22, 2015
  8. Joseph PHILIPPA

Joseph PHILIPPA

Thank you for https://icq.com/windows/en

I'm waiting for a reply from them - but in vain; the email bounced (as most do). I was lead to a Russian website - which has a link for ICQ, but NO opportunity to 'talk' to anyone.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2015
    Joseph PHILIPPA, Nov 27, 2015
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question