I have just completely destroyed my windows 8 PC.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by jubbly, Dec 21, 2012.

1. jubbly

jubbly

I can't believe what I have just done.

I had upgraded my old PC to windows 8 and decided to upgrade the processor. Everything seemed to go fine. I took off the heatsink, replaced processor, applied thermal gel and rescrewed the heatsink back on. Then, and I don't for the life of me know why I did this, I decided I would pick up the screwdriver one more time just to check the screws were tight enough. You can guess what happened. I have over screwed one of the screws and snapped the screw housing off the motherboard.

It is now toast. The heatsink is not pressed against the CPU and there is absolutely no solution other than a new motherboard.

:oops:

jubbly, Dec 21, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. jubbly

davehc

OMG! If you hav'nt broken one of the embedded circuit wires, can't you glue it down with one of the patent and powerful instants?. Not nice knowing it is like that, but cheaper for the time being, than a new motherboard. If tyou have to go that way, perhaps a good time to consider a new computer with one of the Windows 8 deals?

davehc, Dec 22, 2012
    sleepyH22 likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. jubbly

clifford (c_c)

clifford, Dec 22, 2012
  4. jubbly

Nibiru2012 Moderator

Wow! Sorry to see that happen to you!

Finger-tight is all that's ever needed on seating a heatsink to a CPU on a motherboard. Once the screws are bottomed-out, that's as far as you need to go and no more.

It sounds like you have an Intel CPU, since most AMD heatsinks now mount with a locking cam device.

Nibiru2012, Dec 22, 2012
    sleepyH22 likes this.
  5. jubbly

jubbly

Thanks for the commiserations guys.

It isn't repairable. It is an old socket 775 intel and the heatsink (a decent acer one actually with lots of copper piping) screws onto screw bits mounted on the mother board. These have snapped off and to make it worse they are now embedded in the ends on the heatsink and can't be removed.

What a kick in the teeth. I waited about 6 weeks for the processor to ship from china on ebay and it was all fitted nice and I go and do that. :mad:

I would need a new motherboard and heatsink now so I may as well buy a new machine.

By the way, the new processor was a pentium 4 672 hyperthreaded. 7 years old but lightning fast by all accounts on applications other than games.

jubbly, Dec 22, 2012
  6. jubbly

jubbly

I decided to have a closer look and it looks like I have not damaged the motherboard. The screw threads are mounted on a bracket under the mother board that pokes through the motherboard. The heatsink is buggered though. I cannot get the snapped of threads off the screws,

Just ordered a used one of ebay for £2 so hopefully that will sort me out. It comes with its own bracket.

jubbly, Dec 22, 2012
  7. jubbly

clifford (c_c)

I was hoping that was the problem, good luck with your repairs.

clifford, Dec 22, 2012
    sleepyH22 likes this.
  8. jubbly

jubbly

Well, the saga continues....

I fitted the heatsink I bought on ebay. The heatsink looks ok but it isn't as good as the one it replaced. Everything is working, however the temperature of the CPU varies between 59 degrees and about 80 degrees. Way too high and also the fan goes up to 4800rpm when it is at its hottest.

Is this just the nature of the old pentium 4 6xx series cpus or can I improve this with a better heatsink and better gel like Arctic Silver?

This is the heatsink I now have:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230899893723?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

jubbly, Dec 31, 2012
  9. jubbly

clifford (c_c)

It is possible the heatsink has gotten old and lost its functionality. Those heatsinks rely on copper tubes to transfer heat. If they start failing, there is no repairing them. Unfortunately the only way I know of checking them, would be to try another heatsink.

clifford, Dec 31, 2012
  10. jubbly

jubbly

I would be interested in hearing any recommendations for a specific one, without having to spend too much money. Ironically, I have just spotted the one I broke on ebay and it is being sold for £17 second hand. I don't even want to spend that amount though. There comes a point where you are spending so much that you may as well just get a new system. To be honest I am happy with this one and the new processor has made it plenty fast for my needs.

jubbly, Jan 1, 2013
  11. jubbly

Nibiru2012 Moderator

There is saying which very much applies in this instance: The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Spend some money and get a good CPU heatsink. This is one of the most critical parts of your setup. DO NOT scrimp here at all!

Check this one available from Amazon UK website: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Akasa-Auror...5K/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1357063478&sr=8-18

Akasa makes very good cooling solutions. I use their fans for my desktop setup exclusively. You'll notice this has copper heat pipes and it screws to mount the unit. Remember to use a high-quality thermal compound and thoroughly clean both mating surfaces with a good solvent such as 91% isopropyl alcohol.

Remember if you use Arctic Silver, it may take up to 100 hours of "break-in" time before you start getting consistent cooling temperatures.
    I recommend Prolimatech PRO-PK1-5G PK-1 Thermal Compound, not cheap but works right away and is one of 5 top-rated thermal compounds.
    NO BREAK-IN PERIOD.

My review from Newegg:

I hope these recommendations help.

~Nibs

Nibiru2012, Jan 1, 2013
  12. jubbly

jubbly

Great recommendations. That heatsink looks a steal for £11.83 delivered. I am going to buy that and put the one I am using back on ebay.

Will check out the compound too.

jubbly, Jan 4, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question