I cannot shut down or restart at all

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Support' started by jubbly, May 18, 2013.

1. jubbly

jubbly

I can't believe this.

I installed windows 8 on the PC under my TV that I use as a media PC. A few weeks ago it simply stopped shutting down. It won't even restart either. The shut down and restart buttons do nothing at all. I now have to turn off the PC at the power button, which can't be good for it because it keeps having to do automatic repair when I switch it on.

I can't do a refresh or a reinstall as I have about 800GB of stuff on there that I cannot lose and I don't even have an external drive big enough to back it up to.

Any ideas?

jubbly, May 18, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. jubbly

Willy Iskandar

to Shut Down the computer please press the Windows Button + C and click settings there the option to shut Down the computer

Willy Iskandar, May 19, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. jubbly

jubbly

No, you don't understand. The computer will not shut down when I press the shut down or restart button.

jubbly, May 19, 2013
  4. jubbly

davehc

The confusion is probably from your reference to the shutdown and restart button. Is this a physical button, other than the "power" button, or do you mean a shutdown menu..etc., for example, in the Charms bar - Power menu?

davehc, May 20, 2013
  5. jubbly

themarksquared

The administrator named Ian made a tutorial post about your problem in the tutorial section of this forum. I hope that this will fix your problem. I agree with what davehc said, I'm also confused if you're talking about the button or the option found in the Charms Bar.

If you don't want to click on another thread, I'll paste what he said in Ian's thread. If it works, please thank Ian, and not me.

https://www.win8forums.com/threads/how-to-shut-down-windows-8.631/

themarksquared, May 20, 2013
  6. jubbly

Willy Iskandar

you can upload your private file on online storage before your reinstall your windows...
    but if you just make one partition on your pc?
    If you install multiple partitions, you can store some data in another partition.

Willy Iskandar, May 20, 2013
  7. jubbly

John Cater

At my advised to you please upload your all important data to online storage and after that installed window 8.1 version. Screen shots apparently of Windows 8.1 Update 1 reveal the upcoming update will sport dedicated buttons on the Start Screen for shut down and search.

article_img.jpg

John Cater, Sep 15, 2014
  8. jubbly

davehc

Possibly, as the last communication from the op was one year and four months ago, he has found a solution=

davehc, Sep 15, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question