I cannot beleive what windows 8 has done to my laptop

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jubbly, Jun 17, 2013.

1. jubbly

jubbly

To say I am livid is an understatement.

I have a 4 year old Compaq laptop which I have looked after, specifically I have kept all recovery disks, the recovery partition, and I have even written down the COA because they rub off.

I upgraded the Vista that was on the laptop to windows 8 pro. There were some serious problems with windows explorer so I decided to reinstall vista from the recovery partition. I have done that recovery many times with no problem, but this time, doing it over windows 8, it has removed the tattoo information from my motherboard!

The Compaq logo has changed to hp and the s/n, p/n and UUID were all wiped. I got a DMI tool iso and managed to fill them back in but it is no good. I now have the following problems:

1) My recovery discs do not work.

2) My recovery partition does not work

3) When I install OEM vista from a generic iso it will not accept the COA number.

In short, putting Windows 8 on that laptop has caused me to lose all my recovery options on a 4 year old laptop, on which I was deliberately keeping everything. I have no license for this laptop now.

Screw you, Microsoft. I have now installed Linux Mint on it and I will be doing the same on every PC I own.

jubbly, Jun 17, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. jubbly

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Trouble, Jun 17, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. jubbly

jubbly

Nope. These recovery discs are proper recovery discs that I ordered when i got the laptop.

Whatever this has done to my BIOS, it is now not recognised as a Compaq laptop. The Bios splash screen changed from compaq to HP.

Nothing works. The recovery disks, partition and COA number have all been rendered completely useless. The only way to sort this now would be a new motherboard or an expensive bios chip replacement.

I simply cannot believe this. How can this happen?

I am sticking with linux.

jubbly, Jun 17, 2013
  4. jubbly

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

Is it really the BIOS splash or is it UEFI mode Windows loading screen? It'd display the manufacturer logo instead of the Windows logo if loading in UEFI mode, and in this case it'd obviously use HP logo, not Compaq.

Although there's little point in trying to solve this, since you've moved onto the Linux platform.

Core, Jun 19, 2013
  5. jubbly

PSyCHoHaMSTeRZa

Have you tried doing a BIOS upgrade on the laptop? The way you describe it makes it sound to me like the BIOS got a slight identity crisis... If you flash or upgrade with the right BIOS version, maybe that might improve things?

PSyCHoHaMSTeRZa, Jun 23, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question