How to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fubitowalato, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Fubitowalato

NickJ

I'm pretty sure Windows 9 is already in the early planning stages. I'm sure we'll hear about it next year.

NickJ, Nov 23, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. Fubitowalato

tanzanos

The lady in charge now is the same person who came up with (UGHHH) the Ribbon interface! Looks like windows 9 will be another "Hide and seek" style like MAC OS and Windows 8. What are they smoking in MS???? Perhaps they are licking toads all day; Whatever, I will stick with 7 and hope for a miracle! :)

tanzanos, Nov 23, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. Fubitowalato

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

The Start menu is 17 years old, much like this thread. Maybe it's time to, you know, move on.

Don't expect salvation from Windows 9. The whole point of the Windows 8 UI is to acclimate users to the kind of ecology that has made Apple so successful in its post-PPC era. Microsoft has spent long enough watching from the sidelines while Apple's been selling iOS devices like hotcakes while practically nobody gives a shit about Zune & Windows Phone with their less than 2% market share. There's been an increase in Apple's market share of desktop and laptop computers as well due to how seamlessly they sync with iOS devices. It's all about creating a system where everything just works. Maybe Microsoft would also like to have a little bit of that money.

Windows 8, Surface tablets, and the new Windows Phone OS all utilize the same new UI for that explicit purpose. W8 is priced to go in the hope that it will lead consumers to move to Microsoft tablets, Microsoft mobile devices, the Microsoft App Store, and so on. And it is working for them. I personally moved to OSX last year out of frustration and disgust with Windows 7's incapability to natively sync with anything. I was planning on upgrading my iMac to a $3,000 version of the 27" new model later this year, but since Windows 8 came out I have sold my MacBook and my iMac is gathering dust on my desk. W8 syncs seamlessly with my Google Apps Business email, calendar, and contacts without me having to download additional sync tools or buy Office just to retain basic functionality. Furthermore, thanks to the Start Screen I don't miss OSX's dock all that much; it's certainly better than the Start menu. I am now thinking about a Windows 8 tablet or laptop, and might consider a Windows Phone to replace my iPhone in the future if the Microsoft App Store stops sucking and a phone comes out that doesn't suck as hard as Lumia. I'd also have moved to Microsoft's business-level email services if they weren't tied to SkyDrive, which I refuse to use in its current state. But I am willing to give them my money again, and they have Windows 8 to thank for that. I have a feeling I won't be the only one.

Core, Nov 23, 2012
  4. Fubitowalato

NickJ

I think people get used to stuff though. It's the movie theater syndrome. You've been going to the same cinema since you were like 18. Then one day, the prices just shoot up and you're like "HUH"? When people get used to a particular phase of a program, and then it's just up and gone one day, it just disturbs the person's comfort level.

NickJ, Nov 23, 2012
  5. Fubitowalato

DRFP

While agree with innovation, Windows 8 is not making friends, many new articles are calling windows 8 a failure, its not easy to use and not intuitive. Businesses do not need a tablet touchscreen based interface when letters, reports and excel will continue to need a KEYBOARD.
    Its really unrealistic to expect businesses to adopt the new technology overnight, most will not, most do not have the enormous amounts of cash to do so and many are just upgrading to windows 7 this year. Windows 8 is more geared to consumers than business, and yet business dumped Apple for MS and now MS makes sure business will not support the new OS for a few years when maybe they will be able to upgrade the hardware. Businesses do not upgrade hardware every 6 months, try every 3 to 4 years in some cases, others longer, I worked at a Hospital with old school 486 and win XP this past year!

By saying something has been around for years it should be discontinued is not a good argument. Many things we still use have been around for hundreds of years and we still use them, I think the start button is a small thing to keep for those who want it and it should have been optional.

No matter what you think a lot of people Hate Windows 8, this is Bad in a time Apple OS sales are way up. If Microsoft will not listen to what people and business wants, then they will become like Hostess, a thing of the past........................................

DRFP, Nov 23, 2012
  6. Fubitowalato

NickJ

Hostess had better come back! I can live without twinkies, but I'll be damned if I will eat my grilled cheese and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on anything other than wonder bread.

NickJ, Nov 23, 2012
    Core and DRFP like this.
  7. Fubitowalato

DRFP

I bought a box of raspberry Zingers! YUM YUM I did not save to sell on Ebay they are for ME! I want my Ding Dongs

DRFP, Nov 23, 2012
  8. Fubitowalato

Nibiru2012 Moderator

This statement is a little disingenuous to say the least. How do you know this is the "true mentality" behind the release of Windows 8?

Microsoft does not "expect the world to run out... and buy a new touchscreen device". MS main problem is that they're attempting to solve two issues with one operating system. Steven Sinofsky was in charge of the development and he tried to make Windows 8 appeal both to desktop / notebook users without touchscreens and to those who are moving to the tablet hardware.

MS would be better off to split Windows 8 into two separate operating systems. One expressly designed for the standard desktop / notebook user and the other designed for those with touchscreen devices.

We'll wait and see. I know for me personally that Windows 8 is better performer for overall speed, file transfers, multi-threading and so forth.

Nibiru2012, Nov 24, 2012
  9. Fubitowalato

DRFP

My statement comes from two different sources:
    it has been said that technology is outdated in 6 months
    A lot of stories are currently blaming Microsoft and windows 8 for the poor sales in PC's

Defend Microsoft all you want, I feel they messed up with 8 in the way they should not expect it to be the OS for all PC's, it should of been for touch devices with another version for PC's that are not touch. Its a mistake per my opinion. MS may have tried to make it appealing but honestly I feel they failed.

DRFP, Nov 24, 2012
  10. Fubitowalato

Nibiru2012 Moderator

It's WAY TOO EARLY to state that Windows 8 is a failure. Regardless of who wrote the articles and sources. The vast majority of businesses have not yet adopted Windows 7, much less consider going to Windows 8. The vast majority still use XP. Many are "gun shy" since the Vista debacle. I don't blame them for their hesitancy in a major computer OS adoption as it costs a lot of money, time and effort to switch to a new OS company wide.

You state: "a lot of people Hate Windows 8, this is Bad in a time Apple OS sales are way up." Where are your facts, figures and proof to back up your arguments? I don't see anywhere that the Apple OS has had any significant sales increase.

I don't believe that the OS X is selling like hotcakes either. As of October 2012, MAC OS X market share is only 8.54% of all computer operating systems, including Linux and Unix. (SOURCE)

Making blanket generalities and such only confuses other forum members.

Please, when you make specious statements all you're doing is showing that your research is a little insufficient.

Nibiru2012, Nov 24, 2012
  11. Fubitowalato

DRFP

I agree that we will "Catch up to Windows 8" in time but I think this is a year too early and intel said the same thing I thought

I bought this laptop earlier this year and thought I needed the DVD drive, I just about never use it. I can live without it, the newer ultra touchscreens look nice, I just can't afford most them now

DRFP, Nov 24, 2012
  12. Fubitowalato

Nibiru2012 Moderator

The first statement is true, I would go even further and state the most computer technology is outdated the moment it's released to the general public.

A "lot of stories" ?? Stories or articles? The main reason that PCs are not selling very good at this current time is because there is a HUGE interest and emphasis on tablets right now. The big retailer push for the holiday season is tablets, tablets, and more tablets. Since most computer users (and ubergeeks) have fairly up-to-date hardware and are perfectly happy with Windows 7, there really is no reason for most to move on to Windows 8.

I DID NOT like the Windows 8 Consumer Preview version, now that I have the RTM I like it very much except for the woe-begotten Metro UI. However, I simply bypass that by either hitting the "Windows" key or the ENTER key.

Regarding the aspects of an easy way to perform the SHUTDOWN and RESTART functions, I merely placed shortcuts for them on my desktop and pinned them to my taskbar. It is easily done and there is no hacking involved.

I went to TechRepublic and followed their tutorial for doing the same in Windows 7, this works the same in Windows 8. The only difficulties I had were finding icons that I liked to place on the desktop.

Nibiru2012, Nov 24, 2012
  13. Fubitowalato

jubbly

In my case it was because I had XP which will be unsupported in 18 months time.

My choice was to pay about £80 for a windows 7 upgrade or pay £25 for a windows 8 upgrade. Guess which one I picked.

It is a no brainer.

I don't see how you can call it a downgrade. It is essentially windows 7 with touch support and apps layer. So an upgrade.

jubbly, Nov 25, 2012
  14. Fubitowalato

Victor Leigh

I have both Windows 7 and Windows 8. Somehow I don't consider Windows 8 to be an upgrade from Windows 7. The only thing the two operating systems really have in common is the name and the sequence of numbers. Perhaps if we just accept the truth which is that Windows 7 is designed for the desktop and Windows 8 is designed for mobile devices, then there should be a lot less misplaced expectations and unnecessary aggravations.

Victor Leigh, Nov 26, 2012
    Nibiru2012 likes this.
  15. Fubitowalato

Nibiru2012 Moderator

First of all, it's not a "downgrade". Not in any way shape or form... period!

How about some positive comments? IF you don't like Windows 8, then please don't use this forum as your "whipping boy".

Why all the negativity?

Nibiru2012, Nov 27, 2012
  16. Fubitowalato

NickJ

What exactly does unsupported mean? The OS just won't work anymore? Or that people who need assistance with Windows XP related issues won't be able to call Microsoft and get it anymore?

NickJ, Nov 27, 2012
  17. Fubitowalato

It means it will not receive any security updates or other patches.

Core, Nov 27, 2012
  18. Fubitowalato

NickJ

Ah. Well if your version is already patched up and has security center then why worry. I still have XP pro installed on my third house computer. My main one has 7 and my second one has 7.

NickJ, Nov 27, 2012
  19. Fubitowalato

Because it's a really bad idea to run a deprecated operating system? Vulnerabilities aren't fixed by antivirus solutions, it's a completely different ball game.

Core, Nov 27, 2012
  20. Fubitowalato

tanzanos

Hasn't anyone ever told you that; "It is more expensive to cheap"? A lower price does not mean a better buy! :)

tanzanos, Nov 27, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question