How to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fubitowalato, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Fubitowalato

Fubitowalato

good day, please how do i upgrade from win7 pro to win8 pro. am i going to pay?

Fubitowalato, Nov 15, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. Fubitowalato

Samuel Kline

Yes go to Microsoft home page and start the process of upgrading. You will see a digital download option for $40 from Win7 to Win 8. It supposedly will expire by the end of the year.

Samuel Kline, Nov 15, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. Fubitowalato

NickJ

Not that I'm angling to upgrade to Windows 8 anytime soon but this $40 upgrade is pretty tempting.

NickJ, Nov 15, 2012
  4. Fubitowalato

Dell-Jesse L

Fubitowalato,
    That is not a bad price for upgrading to the newest Windows OS. You may also want to see if your system can upgrade to Windows 8 and that your computer manufacturer has Windows 8 drivers for your system. You can click the Windows Upgrade Assistant to verify your system can run Win8.

Dell-Jesse L, Nov 15, 2012
  5. Fubitowalato

Perbear

It is tempting. And you can postpone the actual installation after you have received the download/installation file and do it at a later date.
    Another option is to go to your trusted computer store and buy the upgrade there with media (DVD) for appr USD 69 (in the US) or SEK 549 (in Sweden).
    If you don't want to lose your Windows 7 you can opt for a dual boot by way of doing a customized installation. Be aware that you DO need to partition your hard disk (if you only have one) or direct Windows 8 to one of your other hard disks so that both OSes will reside on their own disk. Depending on which one you want to be the default (or last used) the boot manager will look different.

Perbear, Nov 16, 2012
    sleepyH22 likes this.
  6. Fubitowalato

NickJ

I always partition before I install any new Windows OS. I just flash drive all my important files and stuff, and then partition before installing.

NickJ, Nov 18, 2012
  7. Fubitowalato

jubbly

You can do a clean install but I actually found that the clean install didn't seem as stable as the xp upgrade so I went back to the xp upgrade. It is 32 bit but I can live with that.

jubbly, Nov 19, 2012
  8. Fubitowalato

NickJ

That's strange. A clean install should've ran smoothly and perfectly absent any hard drive issues.

NickJ, Nov 20, 2012
  9. Fubitowalato

jubbly

That is what I thought. Perhaps it was something to do with the clean install being 64 bit, I don't know. But it was slow as anything and BSODing regularly.

jubbly, Nov 20, 2012
  10. Fubitowalato

NickJ

Possibly. Those 64 bit installs sound cool in theory but when folks install them all hell breaks loose sometimes.

NickJ, Nov 22, 2012
  11. Fubitowalato

DRFP

I had no problem with clean install of WIn 8 it took me 25 minutes,

Also whats different between Windows 7 and windows 8 drivers since they are almost the same basically?

DRFP, Nov 22, 2012
  12. Fubitowalato

tanzanos

Why on earth would anyone want to "downgrade" to win 8 ????

tanzanos, Nov 22, 2012
  13. Fubitowalato

DRFP

Its better than windows 7 under the Hood, it has improvements you may not get in windows 7 thats why

DRFP, Nov 22, 2012
  14. Fubitowalato

tanzanos

No arguments there but, with only this tiny little difference: Win 8s UI that is so horrid that it basically negates all those goodies hidden under the hood. Get rid of Metro and reinstate classic menus and win 8 will surely be the best windows yet. :)

tanzanos, Nov 22, 2012
  15. Fubitowalato

DRFP

Once I installed classic shell 8 you get the start button back and its almost the same as windows 7, you can even set it to no Metro Start Screen, Its open source and free

DRFP, Nov 22, 2012
  16. Fubitowalato

tanzanos

Ever since win 7 I have been using Classic Shell. The problem with win 8 is that even Classic Shell cannot do enough to compensate for the unintuitive win 8. Also there is no way to totally get rid of METRO. If it means that I have to compromise then sorry but win 8 is just so user unfriendly and so unintuitive that it is best left alone. Of course there will be people who will love it. Each to his own I guess. Hopefully MS will see the error of her way and reinstate classic menus, start button and leave METRO where it truly belongs; Namely the smartphone and Tablet market. Sad, very sad!

tanzanos, Nov 22, 2012
  17. Fubitowalato

DRFP

The problem is not Windows 8 its the fact that Microsoft expects the world to run out in the next 3 months and buy a new touchscreen device, tablet, Laptop. This is the true mentality behind it. Stupid in the middle of the Great Depression of the 21st century, and yes History will correct itself and refer to this time as a Depression because 50 years from now the truth will be out

DRFP, Nov 22, 2012
  18. Fubitowalato

NickJ

But what if "the world" doesn't? Do they have a back up plan at the MS offices?

NickJ, Nov 22, 2012
  19. Fubitowalato

DRFP

LOL Pray is the plan............Windows 9 anyone? ( its what they did after ME and Vista, they regrouped and came up with plan B)

DRFP, Nov 23, 2012
  20. Fubitowalato

tanzanos

No classic menus = no windows!:D

tanzanos, Nov 23, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question