How to uninstall Windows 8?

Discussion in 'Installation, Setup and Upgrades' started by globerotter, Mar 12, 2012.

1. globerotter

globerotter

I made a big mistake in installing Windows 8 on my computer. When it boots I don't have an option to go in to Windows 7, it just loads Windows 8 straight away.

Is there a way to go back to Windows 7 like when I first got my computer? Can I just uninstall Windows 8 and go back to the way it was before?

Please help me!

globerotter, Mar 12, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. globerotter

Ian Administrator

Hi globerotter, welcome to the forums :). Did you install Windows 8 on a test PC? It's a consumer preview, so not really aimed at taking over from Windows 7 quite yet (although many people have made the full switch).

You can't uninstall Windows 8 and go back to your previous OS (unless you are dual booting - but it sounds like that isn't the case), but you can perform another clean install of Windows 7 or restore from backups.

Do you have the Windows 7 installation DVD or do you have an OEM restore partition?

Ian, Mar 13, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. globerotter

Michael Phan

The only way to revert your computer back to Windows 7 is by restoring. You must own a copy of windows 7 on a DVD. You install it the same way you did with Windows 8, and that is mounting the Windows 7 DVD into the DVD drive and setting the computer to boot the DVD drive at start up. Your files and documents will be moved into the Windows.old folder in your primary hard drive. Unfortunately, the only way to downgrade is to do a fresh installation of the OS.

Michael Phan, Jun 13, 2012
  4. globerotter

Jake Horsfield

The easiest way to revert back to Windows 7 would be to run the Windows 7 installation, and then format the HDD with Windows 8 on, and replace it with Windows 7.

Hopefully you backed up your files too!

Jake Horsfield, Jul 25, 2012
  5. globerotter

davehc

The thread is a few months old, and the OP has not come back. I would say he probably solved the problem somehow.

davehc, Jul 25, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question