How to solve Windows 8.1 driver 'Location is not available' on start up?

SOLVED Discussion in 'Drivers' started by LYGO, Oct 12, 2014.

1. LYGO

LYGO

Hello, I've got this problem 2 days ago (10/10/2014). This is what happen & it happened in two situation :-

1st situation

I switch on my laptop, then enter the password & user name, after that this screen appear :-

[​IMG]

On the desktop, This message appears : -
    [​IMG]

All my Icon on desktop missing, only Recycle Bin Icon are on the desktop & my wallpaper missing (turn to black). Nothing happen if I click on the desktop (right/left click or on the recycle bin icon or Notification Area Icons), I only can click or open the Start Menu, On the Metro UI (Tiles screen; see picture below), same thing happen, I can't click any tiles icon except for the DESKTOP tiles icon.
    [​IMG]

2nd situation

I switch on my laptop, then enter the password & user name, after that this screen appear :-
    [​IMG]

This time all my Icon on desktop missing (including Recycle Bin Icon & the Start Menu Icon) but my wallpaper didn't change into black. Nothing happen if I click on the desktop (right/left click or on the recycle bin icon or Notification Area Icons).

So, if this problem occur I had to forcing my laptop shut down by pressing the on/off button ( Since I can't click my user name or the start menu to take click the SHUT DOWN), then turn on my laptop back, enter the password & user name, then everything back to normal ( no error message ). I have to do this method all over again IF the problem appear and it is very tiring..........

One more thing is this problem does not always occur, sometimes it appear, sometimes not. I try to do system restore but it didn't solve the problem. So I hope anyone can help my problem,I'm afraid that one day it will be more worse.......

Thank You

MY LAPTOP SPEC:-
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz | 1TB SHDD [ have 3 partition; System Reserved 350MB | C: Driver > 833.51GB - Healthy ( Boot,Page file, Crash Dump, (Primary Partition) | (D: Drive - Healthy (Primary Partition) ]

LYGO, Oct 12, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. LYGO

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

You can probably try a couple different things to see if they help.
    First I would consider performing a clean boot according to the method described here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/
    Just to see if there is some software application and or service / driver that is causing your problem.

Second you could try creating a second user profile by just creating a second user (local) with administrative rights, just to see if your current user profile is corrupt and causing the problem.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-user-account#create-user-account=windows-8

Trouble, Oct 12, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. LYGO

LYGO

Thank for reply Trouble , I try to do it two solution that you suggest on my other laptop an
    it works but not for my main laptop. Then, I found out the solution for it ( for my main laptop) ;

1. Navigate to: C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile and find if it has the Desktop folder there
    2. Here you have many option;-
    3. If the Desktop folder does not exist, then create an new folder and name it to Desktop or copy it from C:\users\Default\Desktop location. If there is a Desktop folder on your C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile, please replace it with Desktop folder that located at C:\users\Default\Desktop instead of create an new folder and name it to Desktop.
    4. Reboot/Restart your system
    *NOTE: ~ C:\Users\Default is hidden by default , so you must click View > Check on Hidden Files (see picture below) to make that file visible
    Link to Image
    [​IMG]
    ~ If you copy the Desktop folder from C:\users\Default\Desktop location & paste it in C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile, make sure you copy (copy & replace) also the Desktop.ini
    ~ If there any other files (other than Desktop folder example like ; Music or Document folder in there) on your C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile, please copy all the file and place it
    at C:\users\Default\Desktop

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
    LYGO, Oct 21, 2014
    maqsud likes this.
  4. LYGO

maqsud

love the support thank you so much:):):):):)
    Thank youThank youThank youThank youThank you o and Thank you

maqsud, Feb 24, 2015
  5. LYGO

darshi

H
    Hey, I am facing the same problem. But to follow the above mentioned instructions, I m facing trouble to initiate it.
    Navigate to C/ Windows/system32/configure/systemprofile
    I m nt able to go from start option, dere z nothing happening. But wen I m typing the location in search icon sometimes it z showing runtime error

Plz plz plz help

darshi, Mar 5, 2015
  6. LYGO

Tenielle

I turned off and on my laptop more times then I can count and this message still comes up
    Please someone help I've got all my uni stuff on this and need it fixed asap

Tenielle, Jun 13, 2016
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question