How to set up this Trible Boot?

Discussion in 'Installation, Setup and Upgrades' started by Mick Macker, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Mick Macker

Mick Macker

Hi, basically I'm looking to set up a triple boot of Windows 8, Windows 7 and Windows XP.

At the moment I have Windows 8 and Windows 7 dual boot.

How would I go about getting the three installed simultaneously I know if I install XP now it'll mess up the boot and I'll probably lose everything.

What should I do?

Mick Macker, Jun 14, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. Mick Macker

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

In order to do something like that you may want to investigate using something like EasyBCD.
    I haven't used it for quite some time but I've heard other have had good results.
    You may want to investigate thoroughly before proceeding as the Windows 8 boot loader is slightly unique. Typically you would install the operating systems in sequence, oldest first to newest last. Installing XP last may require you to perform a repair from your Windows 8 installation media in order to get your boot menu back.

Trouble, Jun 14, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. Mick Macker

davehc

I frequently reinstall, and mess with, alternative MS OSs. What I have done is made an Acronis image of Windows 8, my primary OS. Whenever I install alternatives, I then re-establish the image, which takes precedence in the boot managers.
    I haven't tried it, but, in your case, I would make a complete image of your present system. I'm assuming you have the Windows 8 boot manager operative?
    After you have installed XP, you can then do as I suggest. You may still, as Trouble suggests, need to use a program such as EasyBCD to manually put XP into the boot manager, but you will, of course, have retained the Windows 8 boot manager.

davehc, Jun 15, 2013
  4. Mick Macker

Mick Macker

Thanks guys so much for the replies. I've used EasyBCD before the problem is it usually messes things up further for me!
    I might try what davehc has suggested it looks like the best option other than just formatting and installing again.

Mick Macker, Jun 15, 2013
  5. Mick Macker

davehc

And keep in mind - a useful spinoff - the image method also retains the activation.

davehc, Jun 15, 2013
  6. Mick Macker

Mick Macker

That's actually very important for me. I lost my original cases for the installation CD's with the activation code. Was planning on using some blackhat method to activate it, which probably would've landed me a virus haha. Thank you for all your help.

Mick Macker, Jun 15, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question