How to set up dual-boot?

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Support' started by LosAngelesLover, May 5, 2012.

1. LosAngelesLover

LosAngelesLover

I want to install Windows 8, but I don't want to get rid of Windows 7, so how do I dual boot WIndows 7 and 8?

LosAngelesLover, May 5, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. LosAngelesLover

brkkab123

Just burn the Windows 8 Consumer Preview iso and set your bios to boot from your dvd drive. Windows 8 will automatically set up the dual-boot. That is after you either use Disk Management to create a partition for it or point it to install to a 2nd hard drive/s.s.d.

brkkab123, May 5, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. LosAngelesLover

LosAngelesLover

Aha, Thanks, I was confused then, thanks for the advice! I'll try that and I'll post here to tell you how it worked.

4. LosAngelesLover

davehc

It'll work. But if not already too late you must select a custom install, or you will overwrite your Windows 7 partition. But also, give your new partition a distinctive name (Win_8?) as, when you do the custom install, you will be asked where you want to install to, and the letter designations can sometimes be misleading.

davehc, May 5, 2012
  5. LosAngelesLover

brkkab123

Your welcome and enjoy.

brkkab123, May 5, 2012
  6. LosAngelesLover

LosAngelesLover

It works perfectly! I took the custom install advice as well, and it works like a charm! Thanks so much for the advice, and thanks for helping, now I can enjoy two operating systems... At once!

7. LosAngelesLover

brkkab123

Glad to see both worked. I forgot all about having to choose the Custom Install option. I personaaly haven't had all that much sleep since last mid-Jult due to medical issue's and 4 different low key surgeries over the last 6 weeks. The last one was Thursday afternoon and I've been awake since Thursday morning now. Sleep is mor like a 1 or 2 hour nap..

brkkab123, May 5, 2012
  8. LosAngelesLover

TheMightyEddy

TheMightyEddy, May 13, 2012
  9. LosAngelesLover

Papo

You can download the ISO and burn it to a USB drive. It's very simple if using Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool. Download Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool from http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool and install it on your PC. Download the Windows 8 Release Preview from http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/download; make sure to download the ISO. Run the Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool and follow instructions.

If you don't have a USB or DVD drive, you can try MagicISO Virtual CD/DVD Manager. This free utility allows you to mount any ISO to a virtual CD/DVD and is very simple to use. You can download it from http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/miso-magicdisc-overview.htm.

Papo, Jun 6, 2012
  10. LosAngelesLover

Victor Leigh

I have both Windows 7 and Windows 8 on my laptop. When I boot up in Windows 8, I don't have any problems. When I choose Windows 7, it will re-start one more time before it takes. Has anyone else faced this problem?

Victor Leigh, Jun 12, 2012
  11. LosAngelesLover

davehc

It is standard procedure. Probably MS arranged it like that to make it look like Windows 8 boots faster -lol. It doesn't on my computer.

davehc, Jun 12, 2012
  12. LosAngelesLover

Victor Leigh

Oh, is that so? That actually means that Microsoft is not doing a good job of allowing two versions of its own operating system to co-exist on the same hard drive. I know that Linux has solved this problem already because I have five different Linux distros on the same hard drive and they boot up just like if they were the only distro on the hard drive.

Victor Leigh, Jun 13, 2012
  13. LosAngelesLover

Papo

I have installed, removed and re-installed Windows 8 several times as dual-boot environment with Windows 7 and haven't experienced the issue mentioned above or any other issues whatsoever.

Question: Which OS did you installed first?

Papo, Jun 14, 2012
  14. LosAngelesLover

davehc

If you install Windows 8 second, in a standard dual boot arrangement, on different partitions, then the issue is the default. It can easily be removed by making Windows 7 the default OS in the boot manager, however. If you have not experienced this, then, how do you install?

davehc, Jun 14, 2012
  15. LosAngelesLover

Victor Leigh

Update.

I have solved the problem by deleting Windows 7 totally from my hard drive. I can do with Windows 8 whatever I wanted to do when I was using Windows 7 so there is no longer any reason to have both os on my hard drive.

Victor Leigh, Jun 23, 2012
  16. LosAngelesLover

Papo

I was tempted to keep Windows 8, as the later version is very stable. A few reasons I decided against it were because of Windows Live Mail; I have four live.com email addresses and one hotmail.com, plus I manage one live.com address for my grandson (he's three years old and we maintain pictures and other stuff so that when he grows up he'll have some good memories). Windows Live Mail makes it convenient to keep track of all emails.

My other reason was due to Windows 8 metro style interface; it's a great interface for tablets, but I just can find any advantages over Windows 7 when it comes to laptops. Everything that Windows 8 does on a laptop, Windows 7 can do it better.

Finally, I'm not sure that when Windows 8 is finalized one can upgrade from Windows 8 Release Preview. I don’t want to go through the trouble of installing Windows 8 compatible software and then have to wipe the hard drive clean once the final version arrives.

Papo, Jun 23, 2012
  17. LosAngelesLover

davehc

I am not clear on your first para. Why not install Live Mail on Windows 8? You can import all your messages across from Windows 7. I use a "Mailbox" which is independent of which OS I am using. If ever I reinstall, I point to that box in the Advanced Mail options and it picks up everything there automatically.

For the second. This subject is well discussed elsewhere. Of course, you are not obliged to use the Metro interface. The better known desktop is an icon click away, and there are several ways of recreating the old start menu. It would be prohibitive of Microsoft, at this stage, anyway, to code this ability out. Although there is a profusion of Metro add-ons in the Store, oddly, Microsoft have very few of their own. If, for example, and as would be natural, you installed MS Office, as soon as you use it, and particularly when you exit, you will find yourself back on the old desktop!
    I think what you must keep uppermost in you mind, if you do have an interest in Windows 8, is that the Metro is only a graphical program menu. In Windows 7 - Click the globe - Click Programs - Click the program you are going to use. In Metro. .- Click the icon of the program you are going to use and you are there!
    If you feel the Metro is overwhelming, consider how many programs you actually use on a daily basis, and remove the surplus from the opening screen.

davehc, Jun 24, 2012
  18. LosAngelesLover

Papo

I tried Windows Live Mail on Windows 8, but couldn't get it to install. Is there a way to install it? I don't have Windows 8 installed at the moment, but would like to know if Windows Live Mail Works.

You said you use a "Mailbox"...can you expand a little on that? Can you manage multiple email accounts?

Papo, Jun 24, 2012
  19. LosAngelesLover

davehc

No special or unique way. Live mail works 100%. It is my weapon of choice since Windows 7.

I have 2 HDs. (You could also create a dedicated partition of, for safety, 500mbs). Make a folder and call it something recognisable, Mine is called Mailbox! Now, when you install your OS, and after installing Live Mail, open the options - Mail in Live Mail. Open the Advanced tab and then "Maintenance". Select the "Store folder" and point it to your new Mailbox. Now, whenever you reinstall, you repeat the procedure and you old mail and contacts are still there.

Attached Files:

davehc, Jun 24, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question