How to restore Windows 7 on a Win 8 "Consumer" installation

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Support' started by shel777, Mar 3, 2012.

1. shel777

shel777

I installed my Win 8 on a desktop PC - non-dual boot.

I want to go back to Windows 7 Home Premium, but System Restore doesn't offer a date to that time, and no available "restore" date specified the installation of Windows 8.

If I need to reinstall Win 7 via its CD, will I lose all my files?

Thanks!!

shel777, Mar 3, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. shel777

Kemical

It does sound like you installed Win 8 over the top of 7 in which case you will have to perform a 'custom' install to get 7 back. The instructions when installing 8 do say that to return to a former os will mean re-installing.
    You could try an upgrade install with win 7 but I very much doubt it will work.

Kemical, Mar 4, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. shel777

Papo

Papo, Mar 7, 2012
  4. shel777

kingsindian

To bad it doesn't work like Internet Explorer where you can go into the downloads and delete the last version.

kingsindian, Mar 14, 2012
  5. shel777

zacker150

I'm not sure, but i think you can restore a full system backup from when you had windows 7 installed on your PC. If it works, then it would be a simple way to do it.

zacker150, Apr 7, 2012
  6. shel777

davehc

Shel777, Your principal concern appears to be for the loss of your private data.
    I would suggest you make a partion, possibly you will have to shrink the existing one, which has 8 on it, in order to accomodate your data. Copy anything over to the new partition, which you value. Thjen you can format and reinstall Windows 7, without fear. Just be sure you give the Windows 8, and your new partition, identifiable names, so that you do not accidentally overwrite during the reinstall process.

davehc, Apr 8, 2012
  7. shel777

Victor Leigh

To create a new partition without losing any data, I suggest using Easus. I have used it many times without failure. Did I mention that it's free?

Victor Leigh, May 4, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question