How to remove "leftovers" from the registry?

Discussion in 'Software' started by MyDigitalpoint, Nov 12, 2013.

1. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint

I have been installed new applications and software to take advantage of Windows 8 rather than using my old, proven to work programs.

However not all of these new installations satisfy my needs and while most of them come with uninstallers, I thought to browse the registry and found that most of them leave traces that you know can make the registry grow with no sense and probably affecting the system performance overtime.

Wondering if there is any program that you can recommend to clean up the registry from those unwanted entries linking to not longer existing files and directories.

Your help will be much appreciated :)

MyDigitalpoint, Nov 12, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. MyDigitalpoint

airplayne

Get something like Advanced System Optimizer that will scan your registry and clean out any broken registry keys. This can help improve the performance of your computer over time.

airplayne, Nov 12, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint

Thanks airplayne!

I will look into it because I really dislike having all those broken keys but it would be really a hassle remove them manually, besides the risk of deleting what I should not delete :eek:

MyDigitalpoint, Nov 12, 2013
  4. MyDigitalpoint

airplayne

The program I recommended will also clean out your temp folders, look for outdated drivers, and scan for malware, among other things. Very useful program.

airplayne, Nov 12, 2013
  5. MyDigitalpoint

themarting

Thanks for the recommendation airplayne, i have been wondering about this myself.

Most registry cleaners ive run across ended up being crap malware and bugged me to pay them. Have you used this particular one?

themarting, Nov 13, 2013
  6. MyDigitalpoint

davehc

I have used Ccleaner for some years, without any problem. It can be initially customised to remove only items you specify. Registry cleaning is never a guaranteed foolproof operation, but, in Ccleaner anyway, the manual safeguard is to export a backup, first

It is free.

davehc, Nov 13, 2013
  7. MyDigitalpoint

airplayne

Yup, I have it run once a week (auto setting). It is a paid program, but well worth it for all that it does. It also does create a restore point before it cleans out the registry and the temp file.

airplayne, Nov 13, 2013
  8. MyDigitalpoint

themarting

I just downloaded CCleaner last night and had it scan for registry issues. I got scared and didnt follow through though because it pulled up an issue with my Civ 5 save files not being associated with anything. If i hit the "fix" button will it erase those saves or will it actually fix that issue?

themarting, Nov 14, 2013
  9. MyDigitalpoint

davehc

It will "fix " it - gone! There are options, when you click the registry icon, but I can't tell where those files would be. You could go to the item in the registry, and export it and then import again, but that could get tedious.

davehc, Nov 14, 2013
  10. MyDigitalpoint

airplayne

@themarting, this is why you back things up. I had an issue where an antimalware program deleted a very important dll file that allowed Photoshop to work. Luckily I was able to get that restored.

airplayne, Nov 14, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question