How To Quit Windows 8 Properly

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Core, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Core

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

Coming from a previous version of Windows, many people experience difficulty adjusting to Windows 8. If, after several minutes of trying to learn a new interface, you still have not gotten used to it, it is best to spend a few hours going back to your old Windows version, reformatting and reinstalling everything. However, before doing so, it is important to give proper feedback on your Windows 8 experience to people who have nothing whatsoever to do with its development. Here are some useful tips on how to compose such a post.

First off, your thread title. Make it succinct. "Going back to Vista", or "Windows 8 sucks" are a couple of good ones that immediately tune your audience into the right mindset.

Begin by explaining how frustrated you are with Windows 8. You can cite specific problems if you can remember them, but the most important thing is to use plenty of expletives to drive home the depth of your frustration.

Make references to "countless hours" of fruitless Google searches. This is particularly important if you haven't really posted very many support threads or asked questions. You don't want your audience to think that you haven't tried to solve your problems. My God, how you've tried.

This would also be the point at which you should mention your many decades of IT experience. Sometimes belligerent people insist on assuming that you just don't know what you're doing. Throw around a few certification abbreviations, Google for some if you don't know any; that usually shuts people up when they realize your expertise is vastly superior to theirs.

If you have any specific examples of hardware incompatibility, be sure to remark about them. In this day and age you really should be able to rely on native driver support for your still perfectly functioning mid-90's matrix printer.

Make sure you mention the Start button, at least twice. This is very important. A lot of people miss this feature, and Microsoft needs to be made aware.

Finally, avoid bringing up anything positive about Windows 8, such as a noticeable performance increase. Doing so will only weaken your argument.

Core, Apr 17, 2013
    Victor Leigh and Trouble like this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Core

davehc

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    And don't forget to say
    1. how fantastic XP is, and that you are still using it.
    2. That , after expressing your opinion of Windows 8, you have no intention of even installing Windows 8, as you have read so many bad reports on it.

davehc, Apr 17, 2013
    Trouble and Core like this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Core

bryce12

LOL, I though this thread was about how to Shut Down Windows 8 properly. I agree that a lot of people are still trying to get used to Windows 8 while wishing that it could be as awesome as Windows XP or 7. Personally I don't face any issues with it but I do miss the simple elegance and functionality of XP.

bryce12, Apr 26, 2013
  4. Core

Octagon

Why not to emphasize that Windows 8 is so unintuitive and puzzling that without an iPad for all that Googling it is nearly impossible to restore the previous OS?

Octagon, Apr 29, 2013
  5. Core

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

I just recently bought an iPad Mini. Good thing too, so that if I wanted to downgrade to a crappier Windows version, I could Google how to pop the setup disc in.

Core, Apr 29, 2013
  6. Core

Epicfied

Or windows 7. That's another popular choice. But never mention Vista!

Epicfied, May 4, 2013
  7. Core

Victor Leigh

Now I learn something new today. After all these years of being inured to seeing software developers alternate between 'quit' and 'end' with making any difference between the two, now I see the finer nuances of the two words.

What a wonderful language the English language is. Almost as awesome as those wonderful people who spend their time installing Windows 8 so that they can uninstall it. Well, they have to do that, don't they? Otherwise, how can they claim to know how Windows 8 doesn't work?

Victor Leigh, May 5, 2013
  8. Core

themarksquared

Windows Vista is the master OS! Screw windows 8 and it's performance improvements! Screw the Metro interface! Screw Micro$oft! Windows 8 suck balls so much that I'd prefer using Windows ME! Now that was innovative! I've spent thousands of man hours on Google researching about where's the start menu, but I got no answers. *forcibly deletes system32*

Of course, I'm being sarcastic. I love Windows 8.

Sorry.

themarksquared, May 21, 2013
  9. Core

airplayne

When looking around for a new laptop I was not all that informed about Windows 8 so I was strongly considering trying to find the laptop I liked with some reasonably priced hardware and get a copy of Windows 7 installed. Then I buy a nicely priced HP laptop and started actually using Windows 8. Actually kind of like it. Still use Windows 7 on my desktop, but will be content using 8 on the laptop.

airplayne, Jun 7, 2013
  10. Core

David B

1.) This one is true, I am still using Windows XP on all of my other computers, this is the only one which I have upgraded to Windows 8.
    2.) It's too late for that. I do miss the start button, but I don't care now because I have a replacement for it that is just as good.

David B, Aug 12, 2013
  11. Core

Sly14Cat

Sly14Cat, Sep 28, 2013
  12. Core

davehc

The thread is a little old, but I appreciate the humour. However, on my budget I would have taken the option to return to my previous OS!!

davehc, Sep 29, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question