How to paste files then auto backup old files?

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Support' started by Heartcloud, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Heartcloud

Heartcloud

Say I have a folder with files named A, B, F, G, I, X, Y, Z. I want to move this into another folder with files named with every single letter of the alphabet, but NOT replace the old files, I need to make backups of them. Is there some easier way to do this in Windows 8.1, other than manually going through all the old files, selecting the right ones, and making backups? I'm pretty sure in XP or 7, when you try to move the files, the prompt will ask "do you want to replace, cancel, or make copies of the NEW files while keeping the originals". I need it to do the reverse, make copies of the OLD files. But Windows 8 doesn't even ask you that third option anymore for some reason.

The example is obviously simplified. If I want to move a folder with 200 items, there's gotta be a better way to do this than spend half an hour going through hundreds of files in different folders looking for ones that might get replaced?

Heartcloud, Nov 11, 2015
    1. Advertisements

2. Heartcloud

bassfisher6522

Why not just rename the files (A and A1, B and B1 and so on) then copy/backup the files to a flash/thumb drive? Once saved then move them to where ever.

bassfisher6522, Nov 11, 2015
    1. Advertisements

3. Heartcloud

Heartcloud

Because I can't rename the files, they're mods for a game. If you rename texture files for a game then they won't get loaded.

Heartcloud, Nov 11, 2015
  4. Heartcloud

bassfisher6522

Are both sets of files in both locations all game related files?

bassfisher6522, Nov 11, 2015
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question