How to hide a program (google chrome) into the app window

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nik, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Nik

Nik

Hello, I would like to hide or delete the app google chrome from the "all app" screen, but I can't. It allows only to open, uninstall ecc. but I can't delete from this page without uninstall it. How can I do? It's also not possible to rename it.

thanks a lot
    Nicola

Nik, Sep 18, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. Nik

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Hello Nik and welcome to the forum.
    I am not at all sure what your ultimate goal is here, but.....
    In the all apps screen, right click "Google Chrome" and choose "Open file location"
    You should be able to delete it from there.
    However this will also delete it from your normal start screen menu and perhaps from other places where you might have it "Pinned", which will require that you have to go here
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application
    right click chrome.exe
    and choose pin to start or pin to taskbar or send to desktop create shortcut.
    Hope this helps in whatever you are trying to do.
    Regards
    Randy

Trouble, Sep 18, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. Nik

davidhk129

Hiding it is simple. Un-hiding it will take several extra steps.

Hiding Google Chrome from All Apps :
    Go to all apps screen > right click at chrome > select Open file location > right side, right click at google chrome again > select Properties > click General tab at the top > at Attribute heading, check "Hidden " > click OK > click Continue to confirm. Done.

Un-hiding Google Chrome from all apps :
    use this path to go back to File Location window.....
    C:\program data\Microsoft\windows\start menu\programs\google chrome >( you are back on file location window ) >
    right side, right click at google chrome > select Properties > click General tab at the top > at Attribute heading, UN-check "Hidden " > click OK > click Continue to confirm " . Done.

davidhk129, Sep 18, 2014
  4. Nik

davehc

I would say Trouble's suggestion would do it quicker..The desktop installations, which are shown in the "all Apps" or the start windows, are shortcuts only. The op only needs to delete the short cut and it is gone immediately from the "All Apps" . To reinstate, he only needs to find it in #Programs" and right click the *.exe and repin it.
    By the same process, you can rename the shortcut, instead of deleting it

davehc, Sep 18, 2014
    Trouble likes this.
  5. Nik

I think both solutions cover the OP's question end to end
    I covered the delete part and David covered the hide part.
    I suspect; Either will require a re-pinning if the shortcuts will be needed elsewhere if that is even part of his goal in asking the question.
    Never even thought to try the renaming part.
    Thanks to both davidhk129 and davehc for contributing to this thread.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
    Trouble, Sep 18, 2014
  6. Nik

Nik

Hi, thanks to all for your reply,
    I tried to rename and change the icon of the shortcut, but in "all app" it's not change. If I remove the shortcut it leaves from all apps.
    The problem is that at work I use chrome and I don't wont to delete the history, because I use it a lot. I don't want that my bos spy me, so I installed firefox as default browser, but I want to use an hide crome. With win7 I hided it and assigned a key combination to open it.
    As you suggested I try to hide the shortcut, it leaves from all app, but the shortcut key doesn't go

Nik, Sep 19, 2014
  7. Nik

davehc

As we said, you must delete the shortcut. It will then be gone from the Apps window. But isn't that what you were trying to do? You can then right click the executive
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application

and "create a shortcut" wherever you desire.

fwiw, I tried my first suggestion, renamed it to "Chrome" instead of Google Chrome. Worked.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
    davehc, Sep 19, 2014
  8. Nik

I figured there had to be some ulterior motive. :)
    But unless your boss is really slow on the uptake (and probably shouldn't be yours or anyone's boss. All he has to do is type "chrome" at the start screen or look in the programs and features menu in the control panel.

Trouble, Sep 19, 2014
  9. Nik

Nik

He is not very good with pc but it is very curious and I don't want he put his nose in my things... For internet browser he normally use the browser key on the keyboard and open the default browser firefox, but if he looks into all app window and he see chrome, is sure that he tries to open it, so, in the old win 7 I renamed it into "format system" and changed the icon, so he didn't try to pen it, and I put a shortcut key for open it fast.

Now, I tried to rename it, as suggested by davehc, but nothing, the name didn't change... so I created a shortcut in another position, but the key shortcut doesnt work, it works only with the shortcuts in "all app" window and only if the shortcut is not hide, is there anything to do?

Nik, Sep 22, 2014
  10. Nik

najuaunataka

Just go to Google Chrome and right click,then select whatever you want from there

najuaunataka, Apr 10, 2015
  11. Nik

davehc

Advice. Look at the date of the last post, before making your own contribution. Many are redundant.

davehc, Apr 12, 2015
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question