How to get into Safe Mode & how to get Check Disk to run a full scan

Discussion in 'Installation, Setup and Upgrades' started by brkkab123, Apr 30, 2012.

1. brkkab123

brkkab123

I'm dual booting Windows 8 CP x64 & Windows 7 Professional SP1 x64. Qindows 7 is on my ssd and Windows 8 is on a 150 GB. partition of one of my Caviar Black 1.0 TB hard drives. A: How do I get into Safe Mode with this setup ? Also, how do you get Check Disk to run a full scan of your hard drives ? Considering it takes Windows 7 3 1/2 hours for each 1.0 TB. hard drive. I find it hard to believe that Windows 8 can run a full Check Disk scan in 5-10 seconds for all drives on my pc. The generic standard 3 area check maybe, but not the full 5 point check that repairs error's and looks for bad drive sectors, etc..

brkkab123, Apr 30, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. brkkab123

davehc

I have read, on forums, that it is a random business of using the conventional methods to get to safe mode. (F8 etc). When I have my back against the wall, and wish to do so, I open Msconfig (in Windows 8, for example) and, under the "boot" tab, select safe mode and reboot.

Best way to ensure a proper check disk is run is to open a Command prompt. and run CHKDSK C: /F or CHKDSK C: /R
    Parameters like /F or /R fix errors on the hard disk or repair bad sectors and extract information from them.

davehc, May 1, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. brkkab123

brkkab123

I've tried that route for Safe Mode, too. Problem is that it apparently isn't the true Safe Mode we're all accustomed too. Ccleaner & TuneUp Utilities both find the same ActiveX key issue in Windows 8. I used msconfig's Boot, Safe Mode option and both programs still find the same issue.. For CheckDisk, I finally decided to try chkdsk C: /r and it kept freezing @ 38% for hours. I therefore reformatted the Windows 8 partition and will get back to it later. It's not my hardware, as Windows 7 is working perfectly on the same hardware.

brkkab123, May 1, 2012
  4. brkkab123

davehc

What actually is the problem. Chkdsk in 10 secs?
    Not really sure what you mean by " Problem is that it apparently isn't the true Safe Mode"? Seems OK.
    But, have you tried Shift F8 on boot?

davehc, May 1, 2012
  5. brkkab123

brkkab123

I like to run it routinely as part of the pc's maintenane routine. F8 no longer works with Windows 8. The 2 ways I've come across for getting into Safe Mode, don't work either. I'm wondering if both of those 2 were for pc's just running Windows 8.

brkkab123, May 1, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question