How soon can I expect a stable version of Windows 8?

Discussion in 'Installation, Setup and Upgrades' started by Aditya Kulkarni, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Aditya Kulkarni

Aditya Kulkarni

Hello Everybody,
    Whatever Windows 8 you are using currently, it must be in Windows 8 RTM.

So, anyone of you have any idea with regards to when this amazing OS will be provided with a stable or final release?
    I didn't hear any news about it, so I am little curious about it!

Aditya Kulkarni, Jan 25, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. Aditya Kulkarni

davehc

The "stable" release has been out for a while now.

davehc, Jan 25, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. Aditya Kulkarni

bassfisher6522

RTM is the acronym for Release to Manufacturer and is the final version to be released and is the first to released the big retail PC giant manufacturers...eg HP, Dell, Gateway. Then after some time it's released to the MSDN and TechNet subscribers as RTM and from there it's released to the public as OEM for purchase. It is sill the same version, the final version.

bassfisher6522, Jan 25, 2013
  4. Aditya Kulkarni

davehc

As Bassfishers says, You could not download Windows 8 RTM version for free. You needed an MSDN license or should be part of other Microsoft programs which include licensed software. You could also have bought, early, a Windows 8 computer or device.
    The Windows 8 RTM version was available only for OEM, and other partners of Microsoft. Microsoft have dedicated download links for Windows 8 OEM version which are not available for public use.
    If you are a Windows 8 developer and have a developer account with MSDN, you were able to download Windows 8 RTM code from your MSDN subscription account (paid), from August 2012. Ditto for technet subscribers.
    Microsoft Software Assurance customers and partners could also get Windows 8 RTM at the same time.

The RTM is intended that they should, as soon as able, provide feedback for any minor mods that may be needed, for their particular Computers/problems. These are, when able, incorporated into the "final" release fort sale to the public. As I said, the OS went on sale to the public some 3 months ago. It had a couple of minor updates incorporated into the RTM, which would be invisible to the user. These were mostly compatibility issues which had been discovered.
    You can read the official facts here:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/10/09/updating-windows-8-for-general-availability.aspx

davehc, Jan 26, 2013
    Nibiru2012 and bassfisher6522 like this.
  5. Aditya Kulkarni

TechKnow

Windows 8 Pro was released last February and it's pretty stable. One the more stable MS OSs I've used in many years. Windows 8.1 Preview is out, now. Make sure you perform a complete backup of your machine before installing it. You also may want to make sure that your machines hardware is compatible with Windows 8 by checking both your manufacturer's and Microsoft's sites. I have Windows 8 on my desktop and two laptops, only one of those is a touchscreen. It's better for touchscreens but I'm very happy with the functionality and stability on all my PCs. I think you will be, too. The RT version was a bit flaky

TechKnow, Aug 6, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question