How I wish windows 8 would look like

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by cyryll26, Apr 10, 2012.

1. cyryll26

cyryll26

Hi everyone. A while back, I saw a post on one of my favorite websites about how a designer who goes by sputnik8 on The Verge forums, posted pictures of his idea of how win8 should've looked like. I know it's impossible for Mcirosoft to hear our whims, but I actually wish win8 looked like how sputnik8 thought it should be. Here's a link to the article that i saw:

http://blog.gsmarena.com/this-is-what-windows-8-on-desktop-should-have-looked-like/

I mean no disrespect to die hard windows8 lovers out there, but I really wish someone would at least make a skin of the OS to make it look like sputnik8's design.

cyryll26, Apr 10, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. cyryll26

davehc

I am neither a Microsoft or 8 particularly, a fanatical Windows lover. But, for me, at the moment, they deliver the complete package of goods that I use in my everyday life.
    Sputnik's efforts do look nice but, from Microsoft's point of view, escaped from the direction in which they are , at the moment, heading.
    I stated, even before the developer was shown to the public, that it was my opinion that Windows 8 was not a natural follow up to Windows 7, but an OS designed as an alternative, for Touchscreens/Tablets. That view has not changed. The obvious begged question would be - if that is so, what is the successor? I cannot answer that. Windows 7 is, for a desktop OS, so close to perfection that to design a successor around it's principles, would be an immense challenge. My guess would be a a completely web based application, which would be rented by subscription, similar to the already active skydrive.
    Sputniks ideas (I only looked briefly, I must confess), indicate a leaning towards having Metro as a quite separate program. There are third party programs, already, which tend towards this in Windows 7, and I am sure, by this time next year, the enthusiasts will have such programs ready as a desktop alternative to Metro. I am sure that you are aware of this already created hack to go towards this aim - see picture. This windows can be placed on the desktop by means of a simple shortcut, it shows all the items in the Metro menu, if that is a preference.

Attached Files:

• Apps.png
      Apps.png
      File size:
      137.4 KB
      Views:
    davehc, Apr 11, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. cyryll26

cyryll26

Though a lot of mods and hacks are available everywhere to give the desktop a metro-look, I liked sputnik's concept because of how natural it looks and the fact that you neither have to change or install anything besides the OS itself (since it's sputnik's concept of win8). As for your view on how win8 isn't the successor to win7, I think things turned out that way and agree with, but I doubt that's how Microsoft planned them to. But I have to say, in my opinion, win7 still has a lot room for improvement. Also, I think a completely web based app wouldn't appeal to everyone, as not everyone of Microsoft's clients finds the need or has the means to stay connected all the time. But that is a possibility.

cyryll26, Apr 11, 2012
  4. cyryll26

Victor Leigh

I do not own an Android device but I have seen friends using it. It has always intrigued me as to how they navigate with their fingers. Now Windows 8 is giving me a chance to try that kind of interface. I am going to use this opportunity to learn more about this desktop environment. If I want the regular desktop environment, I can always boot back into Windows 7 since I have set up my laptop to dual boot between Windows 7 and Windows 8.

Victor Leigh, Apr 25, 2012
  5. cyryll26

zacker150

We have to remember that Microsoft is on a strict 3 year release cycle. As a result, things get cut from wino While this won't be in Windows 8, we can only hope and pray for it to be in Windows 9. I'm going to tweet this to Microsoft and see what they think.

zacker150, Apr 28, 2012
  6. cyryll26

Victor Leigh

Seriously I think those people who are having an issue with the way Windows 8 look should just stick with Windows 7. As far as I can make out, Windows 8 is designed for use with tablets.

Victor Leigh, Apr 29, 2012
    davehc likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question