How do you secure your Wireless internet connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by carlalexander, Jun 25, 2013.

1. carlalexander

carlalexander

I was just wondering what sort of encryption is the best when it comes to securing your wireless internet. I was using cable for my internet connection in the past but I am thinking of resorting to a wireless one. What encryption is best when it comes to protecting my network? Thanks.

carlalexander, Jun 25, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. carlalexander

sonic

Use WPA or WPA2 (with AES) if possible, since WEP is relatively easy to crack. You have to use the same form on all devices on your network, you can't mix WEP and WPA. Also, use a strong password for your encryption key, a combination of letters and numbers of 13+ characters.

sonic, Jun 26, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. carlalexander

carlalexander

Thanks sonic for the advice, I was actually thinking of WEP but like you have said it's quite easy to crack, and from research that I have done, looks like you are right. Thank you once again.

carlalexander, Jun 27, 2013
  4. carlalexander

Black_Epiphany

Used to use WEP, but it isn't the most secure compared to WPA. I recommend going with WPA or WPA2 whenever possible.Older routers might not support WPA, so you may want to upgrade if your router is lacking that option.

Black_Epiphany, Nov 29, 2013
  5. carlalexander

MyDigitalpoint

My modem came with WEP by default and I haven't touched it, but the good news is that I have not detected any intrusion or hacking attempt for the past years since I got it.

Perhaps it's because the password is really strong.

MyDigitalpoint, Dec 2, 2013
  6. carlalexander

airplayne

I use the default WEP that came with the router and modem and haven't changed it. That coupled with my security software has kept out any active attempt on my home network. I do get notifications of unauthorized port scans, but they are sufficiently blocked by my firewall.

airplayne, Dec 2, 2013
  7. carlalexander

Thatnewguy

I use the WEP default that came with my router. I also monitor new connections on the network and have not had any so far.

For added security I named it, FBI Surveillance Van.

Thatnewguy, Dec 5, 2013
  8. carlalexander

airplayne

Ha, clever. Though I doubt if there was one in the area they would actually name it that, and I would imagine a hacker that would come across your network would consider it a challenge to crack it open.

airplayne, Dec 5, 2013
  9. carlalexander

MyDigitalpoint

Funny thing indeed, however naming your router with something that suggest an authority may encourage hackers to attack your connection.

Of course, not likely one dares, but we can't give for granted that there are weirdos our there.

MyDigitalpoint, Dec 9, 2013
  10. carlalexander

davehc

LOL. Corect. In my opinion, all hackers are weirdos! But there is no doubt in my mind that advertising that you are "secure", as in this instance, can attract the flies to the honeypot. It is a major reason that Microsoft id so under attack from troublemakers. They have a tendency to loudly applaud their own security measures.

davehc, Dec 10, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question