How do you control an extended (second) monitor from a tablet?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wmixsl, Apr 16, 2013.

1. wmixsl

wmixsl

You know how when your computer is connected to a second monitor you just move the mouse over the edge of the first monitor and it shows up on the second?

Well how do you move windows and other objects from the tablet's screen to a second (extended) monitor by using the tablets touch screen?

wmixsl, Apr 16, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. wmixsl

bassfisher6522

Does the tablet recognize the 2nd monitor, if so you have to select extend to have it enabled. More importantly, does it have a monitor connection port...eg HDMI, VGA or DVI or maybe a display port.

bassfisher6522, Apr 16, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. wmixsl

wmixsl

Yeah the tablet is connected to the extended monitor. My question is how would you "move the mouse over", to the second screen to control, it with the tablets touch screen (without a mouse)?

Is there some option in windows 8 that lets you swith the mouse icon to the extended monitor and then use the tablet's touchscreen "blindly" while looking at the extended monitor that is being controlled?

wmixsl, Apr 17, 2013
  4. wmixsl

bassfisher6522

You have to set up the 2nd monitor, to do that you have to extend it in the screen resolution window. Go to control panel, Appearance and Personalization, Display, screen resolution. Highlight 2nd monitor, under Multiple displays select extend these displays. That's what was meant when I said you have to extend the 2nd monitor. Windows should see and recognize the 2nd monitor, so basically you just have to extend the display (to make one big monitor).

To answer your first Question; yes you should be able to control the 2nd monitor with your tablet with your swipe gestures. To answer your 2nd question, I'm not sure, as I don't use a touch sreen, so I can't confirm or deny. If it's any thing like a laptop that has touch screen capabilities, it does just exactly that. You can use the touch screen or the touch pad independently, they both work and both enabled.

bassfisher6522, Apr 19, 2013
  5. wmixsl

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Assuming you have the second monitor connected to your tablet with the proper adapter and you've set it up as an extended second display, I am not sure that you can use gestures to actually cast an app from the surface onto your second monitor if the second monitor is not touch enabled. But.....
    You may want to consider using your keyboard to accomplish something similar. Take a look at this article and see if it gets the job done. http://www.microsoft.com/Surface/en...th-Windows-8-Pro-to-a-tv-display-or-projector

Trouble, Apr 19, 2013
  6. wmixsl

bassfisher6522

Yep...Trouble is correct...just tried it with the wife's work hybrid Asus Eee PC. With the touch screen I can move open windows over to 2nd monitor, but once that I can't do anything with them unless I use the tablets touch pad. So it looks like I misinformed you....my apologies for that....and the 2nd monitor will need to be a touch screen to use the touch capabilities. Or like Trouble suggested, use keyboard/mouse or touch pad.

bassfisher6522, Apr 19, 2013
  7. wmixsl

wmixsl

^bump^ doesnt anyone ose a second monitor with a tablet?

wmixsl, Apr 27, 2013
  8. wmixsl

PSyCHoHaMSTeRZa

I don't think that is a very good idea. You might be able to drag a window over to the other monitor with touch, but what are you gonna do when it's there? How will you control whatever is on that second screen if it's not touch as well? You will have to use a mouse.

PSyCHoHaMSTeRZa, May 22, 2013
  9. wmixsl

cipnrkorvo

I found a program that does something similar: touchmousepointer

it makes a virtual mousepad on your touchscreen, which you can even make fullscreen, so that's good for using in extended desktop mode, without need for an external mouse

cipnrkorvo, May 17, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question