How do I shut down Windows 8?

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Support' started by nutmeg77, Mar 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nutmeg77

nutmeg77

I can't believe I have to ask this on a forum, but how do I shut down Windows 8?

I'm pressing the power off button on my computer to force a shutdown, but there must be a better way :(. Because there is no start menu I can't see how I turn the computer off.

nutmeg77, Mar 3, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. nutmeg77

Dipsy

Hover the cursor in the lower right corner, click the settings "cog" on the panel the comes out. Click the power option.

Dipsy, Mar 3, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. nutmeg77

davehc

Alt and F4 is the quicker way to go. If you are in an app then, of course, you have to do it twice. Once to exoit the App, the next to bring up the exit menu.

davehc, Mar 4, 2012
    sleepyH22 and Kemical like this.
  4. nutmeg77

kingsindian

On the screen similar to my avatar your name I think is in the right hand corner. There's a drop down menu that powers down. I think,

kingsindian, Mar 14, 2012
  5. nutmeg77

NiFu

I have found five ways:
    It only offers "Lock" and "Log off". But after "Log off" you have in the lower right corner the power option button.

4. Press Ctrl + Alt + Del: Power option button in the lower right corner

5. On desktop create shortcut to "shutdown.exe -s -t 00". Right click to the created short cut and "pin to start menu". Short cut will appear in metro start menu.

NiFu, Mar 14, 2012
  6. nutmeg77

wjack2010

Wait, so if I understand correctly; there's no simple start menu type-thing where you just click Shut-Down like almost all operating systems? If there isn't, then that has upset me quite a bit.

wjack2010, Mar 27, 2012
  7. nutmeg77

davehc

You might find these files useful.
    The title of each is self explanatory. run each and it makes a small alteration to your Registry. After this, you will find a right click on your desktop, will show the shutdown, etc, options.

Attached Files:

davehc, Mar 28, 2012
  8. nutmeg77

CoolJohnB

StartStop files are brilliant most helpful Thank You!:)

CoolJohnB, Apr 9, 2012
  9. nutmeg77

Victor Leigh

Good to know there's a straightforward way to shutdown Windows 8. All this while, I press the Windows button on the keyboard to bring up the option to logout. Then I use the mouse pointer to pull the screen up to access the shutdown button.

Victor Leigh, Apr 25, 2012
  10. nutmeg77

cluckis

This is defiantly something Microsoft should look into, if there isn't an easy way to power off Windows 8, then a lot of users are going to be unhappy. It took me 15 minutes to find it. Not impressed about that, and not happy that I have to log out, then select Shutdown. There has to be a simpler way.

cluckis, May 5, 2012
  11. nutmeg77

Victor Leigh

Let me share an anecdote.

Very long ago, I laid my hands on a Mac for the very first time. It took me more than 15 minutes to look for the second mouse button before I swallowed my pride and asked a Mac user where the button was. I think the Mac user laughed for more than 15 minutes before showing me how to use a Mac with just one mouse button.

So I think we are facing the same problem here with Windows 8. I think Windows 8 is not meant to be shut down in the first place. You just log out and it will go into hibernation mode. Why shut down when hibernation mode will do the same thing, for all practical purposes? And from hibernation mode, you can get back into work mode that much faster.

Victor Leigh, May 6, 2012
  12. nutmeg77

davehc

I agree with you, cluckis, that shutting down should not be an item you have to search for, as with several other items in Windows 8. But it is an early release and it is hopeful that MS will correct these omissions.

davehc, May 6, 2012
  13. nutmeg77

cluckis

I had the same problem with Mac as well, before I got my MacBook Pro. But with most other operating systems the shut down button is ethier right on the screen, or in a menu on the desktop. So MS should change it a little, just make it so when you click on your picture in the start screen that it has that option. Easy fix that will make people (like my parents) happy.

Plus, even if it's not used, because it's still there, people will still have the option of knowing where it is, and having the option to turn it off easily.

Plus, that's what we're here for, we're helping Microsoft to get it perfect. I think Ive submitted a ton of feedback already.

cluckis, May 6, 2012
  14. nutmeg77

Victor Leigh

I think your parents, or any other old folks for that matter, are not the only ones who are unhappy. My son, who is a staunch Windows supporter and professionally supports Microsoft products, does not even want to give Windows 8 a try. Why? Just because Windows 8 takes one more click than Windows 7 to shut down.

I really wonder whether a lot of Windows users consider that one extra click to be so critical.

Victor Leigh, May 7, 2012
  15. nutmeg77

CoolJohnB

An alternative is to set the power button to shutdown when its pressed. Just go to control panel, look for power, on the left it says select what power button does. Works great on my laptop and tablet.

CoolJohnB, May 8, 2012
  16. nutmeg77

Victor Leigh

I like that. Definitely would work better than all the utilities that I have seen so far.

Victor Leigh, May 9, 2012
  17. nutmeg77

cluckis

That is a good alternative, I think I'm going to set that up right now. Thanks!

cluckis, May 10, 2012
  18. nutmeg77

Bob and Fran

Bob and Fran, Nov 17, 2012
  19. nutmeg77

Bob and Fran

(1) PUSH CTRL, ALT & DELETE AT THE SAME TIME.
    (2) CLICK THE LOWER RIGHT ICON
    (3) CHOOSE: SLEEP, RESTART OR SHUT DOWN - YOUR CHOICE

Bob and Fran, Nov 17, 2012
  20. nutmeg77

TheMightyEddy

Go to the bottom right hand corner, click settings and then shut off.

TheMightyEddy, Nov 22, 2012
    Nibiru2012 likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question