How Change Bckground Color of Window?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GracieAllen, Jan 12, 2015.

1. GracieAllen

GracieAllen

I have 8.1 Pro 64-bit up and running on my PC. It will be used primarily for image editing on calibrated monitors.

By and large, the user interface appearance isn't wretched, except for the horrendous, blinding white window backgrounds.

I'd like to know how to change the window background color - actually, it WON'T be a color, just changed to be less blinding. NO, so far I CANNOT use the high contrast themes. They totally screw up the image editing software. I need to stay with a "normal" theme and have a way to change a browser, MS Office, or other window to a less eye-straining gray...

So far, I haven't found ANY usable way in "personalize", which seems to be lacking the vast majority of windows appearance parameters I was able to adjust in prior versions of Windows. How do I do this?

GracieAllen, Jan 12, 2015
    1. Advertisements

2. GracieAllen

GracieAllen

Hm... This is sitting here like effluvium in a punchbowl... Does that mean there isn't ANY way to have Windows 8 be less wretchedly glaring?

GracieAllen, Jan 16, 2015
    1. Advertisements

3. GracieAllen

bassfisher6522

What white backgrounds are you referring to as windows 8/8.1 doesn't have any. The only one I know of is Office 2013. In office 2013 there are only 3 choices...which you have found.

bassfisher6522, Jan 18, 2015
  4. GracieAllen

GracieAllen

Maybe it's called something else........ I have a monitor. The monitor has a desktop with a background color and a bunch of icons...

When I open a BROWSER, it shows up in a "window" with borders that I set, and a BLINDING WHITE background. When I open Outlook, it opens in a window with borders that I set and a BLINDING WHITE background. Same in Firefox. Same in Notepad. Same in most everything.

I'd like to CHANGE those blinding, glaring white window backgrounds to a less revolting light/medium gray and NOT have that screw up the screens/windows/whatever they are in Lightroom and/or Photoshop, which the high contrast themes do... With one of those I (if I recall correctly) I could get a sort-of controlled gray for the desktop, and a sort-of gray for the windows background, but in the tools I use most, the neutral grays were all over the place, and frequently went either BLACK which is not usable, or WHITE which is the wretched thing I have now...

Didn't have this problem in Windows 7. Still don't on the other machine that's still running Windows 7.

Is there a 3rd party piece of software that'll replace all the capability we had in previous versions of windows to customize the way "windows" look? Foreground/background/and all the other parmeters/colors and such...

GracieAllen, Jan 19, 2015
  5. GracieAllen

bassfisher6522

Can you post some screen shots of what your talking about.

bassfisher6522, Jan 19, 2015
  6. GracieAllen

GracieAllen

Here's a screenshot of this discussion in Firefox... The desktop is medium gray, the window borders are fine, but the background is WHITE...... I don't want it to be white. I want to be able to make it whatever color I want...

Attached Files:

GracieAllen, Jan 24, 2015
  7. GracieAllen

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Since the Windows "window" background color is dictated by themes you may have some problems doing this without some type of third party software.
    If you are adventurous you might want to have a look at this article here http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-change-windows-8-background-colour.htm

Using the Windows Registry Editor can cause serious, system-wide problems that may require you to re-install Windows to correct them. It cannot be guaranteed that any problems resulting from the use of the Windows Registry Editor can be solved. If you choose to edit the Windows Registry please understand that you do so at your own risk so unless you feel fairly comfortable and confident you should probably not use the Editor. Changes made to the Windows Registry can take effect immediately and those that do not will take effect following the next reboot of your computer, and a current backup is not automatically made for you....So manually create a system restore point, backup the registry and export the key you are editing for safe keeping before doing so.

Trouble, Jan 24, 2015
  8. GracieAllen

GracieAllen

Yeah, I know the registry is a pretty unforgiving place. I'll fiddle with things, and may try a better theme if I can find one.

GracieAllen, Feb 10, 2015
  9. GracieAllen

citrus

For the Firefox "background" color, just select options -> content; it is the same dialogue that is used for fonts. Underneath the "advanced" is the box for "colors"; click on colors to get another dialogue box; click on the box for "background" & select the background color you want.

IMPORTANT: UN-select/clear the boxes for "using system colors" & allow pages to use their colors instead of my selections.

No idea how other browsers do things as I've found that other browsers limit what one want to do.

citrus, Feb 12, 2015
  10. GracieAllen

GracieAllen

Thanks, but it's not a Firefox issue. That's just an example of the default window background being a blinding, glaring WHITE......

I'm looking for a way to take control of the colors windows uses. Whether it's Firefox or Excel or some other application I want to be able to set the background and foreground colors the way we were able in previous version of Windows.

GracieAllen, Feb 14, 2015
  11. GracieAllen

citrus

Actually, there are 2 issues: 1) the color on Firefox & other apps 2) the windows desktop background.

For the windows background, I'm running in a single slightly darker grey color like on OS2 which is needed as m$ won't let anyone change the color of the desktop icon text. The color of the desktop is set like in win2k, winxp, win7, etc using the "personalize" to set the "solid color".

I don't see anything for the foreground settings; don't know if the taskbar & border change will suffice.

citrus, Feb 14, 2015
  12. GracieAllen

Islandabode

Tada:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\Colors
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics

Smile when you say that!

TIP: These Registry keys are same for Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8. So to make the task easier, you can boot into Windows 7 and customize the advanced appearance settings using Desktop Personalization window. Then open Registry Editor and take a backup of the above mentioned Registry keys by right-click on them and select Export option. It'll create .REG files. Copy those REG files to Windows 8 computer and run them. The Registry scripts will add those customized settings to Windows 8. Restart Windows 8 computer and you'll see the new settings.

Islandabode, Mar 4, 2015
  13. GracieAllen

najuaunataka

Can you post some screen shots of what you are talking about coz all I know is that windows 8/8.1 does not have white backgrounds

najuaunataka, Apr 10, 2015
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question