How can I clean/ remove /purge/ index.dat files

Discussion in 'Security' started by quovadisuk, Mar 9, 2014.

1. quovadisuk

quovadisuk

Hi, I often cleared by index.dat files as I use home banking and the like .... I used to be able to use a piece of free software called index.dat remover , but don't seem to see anything for windows 8.1? If there is a way to do this it would be appreciated if you could advise (in simple terms being a newbie with 8). Once this procedure is done (assuming there is a way) How can you view the files to see they are indeed cleaned/ purged/ or gone ? and how can you view them now ? ie tonight ?

kind regards all

quovadisuk, Mar 9, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. quovadisuk

davidhk129

In the other forum you posted, you were advised to use CCleaner.
    Have you done so?

davidhk129, Mar 9, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. quovadisuk

quovadisuk

Yes , I did but from other comments on the net, this has not been successful as other had checked the files and they still remain ?

kind regards

quovadisuk, Mar 9, 2014
  4. quovadisuk

davidhk129

Have you personally check if it is empty or not ?
    The way it works, as I understand it, is......
    CCleaner will remove the file. Upon reboot, Internet Explorer will create a new, empty index.dat file.

davidhk129, Mar 9, 2014
  5. quovadisuk

quovadisuk

I have used this software it it says that all is clear , hovwever as stated many people more experienced at this state after running the software it says clear , ofen this is not the case ...although for me it workd in browsers, it appears less useful in the inbedded .index.dat files held in c: Havining limited knowlede of this it should be possible to use a command that I could run to see if indeed these files have been removed or not . bu dot know how .?

quovadisuk, Mar 9, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question