How best to organise large drives

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brianw, May 21, 2014.

1. Brianw

Brianw

My Win8.1 high-end system has an SSD boot drive plus 4 2Tb drives. One is for backup, one is for a very large raw photo image collection (I am a photographer) and the other two are large collections of documents, downloaded files and so on. No drive is more than half full. Each drive is un-partitioned and has maybe 100 folders. Some folders have several thousand files.

My problem is that windows has a problem managing all this. For example, some folders are set to display details and sort in date order. Others to show thumbs and sort by name and so on. However when Windows explorer opens such folders, it appears to have forgotten my preferences and needs time to re-sort the list, often taking many minutes. The same applies to third party software that uses explorer to browse files.

One option I considered was a third-party indexing system but this wouldn't solve the important issue of third-party software still using explorer to browse for files. Unless a third-party indexer could replace explorer completely???

Brianw, May 21, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. Brianw

Shintaro Moderator

Welcome to the W8Forums.

4 x 2Tb disks, that's a lot of storage.

Ok Windows remember the last state that you viewed the files. So if you have another file explorer open on the same directory with a different view and close it last, that is the view that Windows remembers.

In regards to the mass storage, if I had your system I would have most likely set up RAID and had an external disk and cloud storage(Like OneDrive Pro) for back up. No physical disk is safe from failure.

RAID provides speed as well as redundancy, considering your using conventional spinning disks as storage. NTFS is fast, but the seek and access times of the conventional disks is what will take time. Hence the suggestion for RAID.

Shintaro, May 21, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. Brianw

Brianw

It's an idea.I've used RAID in the past but am not sure if it is the answer. I did try a couple of third-party explorer replacements. The trouble is, most are just front-ends for the existing Windows Explorer so inherit it's failings. Making a replacement for explorer that works independently may be impossible as explorer is such a key part of the core. I don't know enough about it.

I wonder if I assigned drive letters to key folders if that would work? Or would it just add another layer of complexity for Windows to plough through? It's a pity Microsoft abandoned the project to create a totally new file system a few years back.

Brianw, May 21, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question