hoping for a great smartphone but cheap ( relatively) ?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by davidhk129, Feb 2, 2014.

1. davidhk129

davidhk129

I just bought a Huawei Ascend Y300 prepaid smartphone.
    Yes, prepaid.
    Bought it for $79.89 Canadian at Walmart.
    One hell of a smartphone, particularly with that price.
    I won't list the features. You can look it up at Google.

davidhk129, Feb 2, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. davidhk129

airplayne

Looks like your avatar is rather fitting to your post. ;)

airplayne, Feb 2, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. davidhk129

Ian Administrator

I bought one of these phones for a project a couple of months ago - it cost me £50 in the UK, so a very similar price. Amazing how cheap they can make these things now!

Here's a good page for the specs:
    http://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_ascend_y300-5386.php

Ian, Feb 2, 2014
  4. davidhk129

davidhk129

One feature your link has omitted to mention........ Google Play store is included.

One thing I did not know until after activation and setup....... it syncs with my tablet. All the apps I have installed in my tablet appear in my phone. That shows how little I know about Androids.

davidhk129, Feb 2, 2014
  5. davidhk129

LoneWolfMage

Dave~

You mentioned "All the apps I have installed in my tablet appear in my phone.".

Are you also saying that those apps you have installed on your tablet are also installed on your phone ?

Or-

Are you saying when you go to the Google play store you are seeing all your apps that are installed on both of your devices even if they are installed or not on the particular device your are accessing the store from?

If the former of these that's odd.

If the latter of these. Then depending on how you access the store. If you use the 'app short cut' on your tablet or phone and select 'all' as far as the apps you want to see. That's exactly what will happen . It will show ALL of the apps that are associated with your google play store account.

If you selected 'Installed" that it will show the apps only for the particular device your are accessing the Play store with.

Normally( at least for me) it SHOULD 'default' to the Installed option.

Hope that wasn't too terribly confusing :)
    LoneWolf

LoneWolfMage, Feb 4, 2014
  6. davidhk129

davidhk129

Apps that were installed by me in my tablets also appeared installed in my phone.
    Maybe because I was using the same username, email address and password on both devices.

davidhk129, Feb 4, 2014
  7. davidhk129

LoneWolfMage

Dave~

I'm not exactly sure WHY what you are experiencing is happening.

The reason I say that is due to the fact that I also have a Android phone and an Android tablet and I also use the same username(email) and all account credentials on both devices. I have not seen either device "synch" as you describe it happening.

Each device has its own particular apps that are used for different purposes. I have (purposefully) installed some of the same apps on both devices.
    Again other that the apps I have purposefully installed on both devices I have not ever seen either device "synch" apps as you are describing.

ON SECOND THOUGHT.

If I remember correctly, I think there is an app or a 'feature' or possibly both, certain smart phones or tablets will or can 'synch' with each other if they are within a certain proximity of each other OR in the case of an app there is one called .. I think it was "Bump" where is you quite literally 'bump' 2 devices together ( as long as they both had the app installed) you could choose files or apps to 'transfer' from one device to another. Be it your OWN devices or between your device and your friends devices.

I wonder if the former explanation I mentioned is what may be happening. I cant, off the top of my head, remember what the 'feature' is called, but I DO 100% reading about it being available not to far back ago on some devices.

Of course just like the app that I mentioned boht devices MUST have the feature available for use and be activated on the device.

Just a couple other ideas I thought of.
    ~LoneWolf

LoneWolfMage, Feb 5, 2014
  8. davidhk129

davidhk129

The phone has only 4 GB for internal storage and out of that, only about 2.16 GB are actually available to be used. So I had no intention at the time to install any apps unless it was necessary. So, I was shocked to see all those app shortcuts appearing on screens. I tapped on them, and they were installed and ready.
    I must have inadvertently enabled an option during the phone setup. This is my first android smartphone and I know nothing about android os.
    The scenario described only applies to the apps before the phone was setup.
    After the setup , the 2 ( tablet and phone ) do not synch anymore.
    I installed a 8 GB sd card. That should be enough for a smartphone. (My tablet has a 32 GB sd card). I am not one of those who cannot live without a cell glued to the ear.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
    davidhk129, Feb 5, 2014
  9. davidhk129

LoneWolfMage

Dave~
    I didn't think you did have any intention of installing apps unless they were needed. Sorry if it came across that way.

I'm the same way with my phone. I only use the internet or apps when in I need to. I as well of the same type of not needing a smart phone glued to my ear ...that being said..they are definitely nice to have when ya need them. :)

With regard to the 'synch' it is very possible that it was either something inadvertantly..or something that is maybe 'vendor installed' in their infinite wisdom to try to make things easier.

Either way glad to hear it hasn't happened any more. Last thing you would need is running out of memory on the phone.

Good luck..and I will say android can be a fun os to learn and really not all that difficult :)

~Lonewolf

LoneWolfMage, Feb 5, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question