Homegroup making my Windows 8 lock up

Discussion in 'Crashes, BSODs and Debugging' started by jubbly, Nov 3, 2012.

1. jubbly

jubbly

I have had problems with windows 8 locking up for long periods randomly when I am only doing light tasks like browsing etc.

This has been puzzling me for days but I think I have tracked down the problem. While it was locking the "action centre" flag in the tray was saying that homegroup was sharing files. I disabled homegroup and the problem has gone.

Is this a known bug/problem. The action centre never reported this in windows 7. It seems windows 8 regularly indexes files to share on homegroup and while it is happening somthing is maxed out, probably the disk read and write.

Anybody else had this problem?

jubbly, Nov 3, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. jubbly

utg001

yea I had this problem few days back, I stopped sharing and it worked for me too!

utg001, Nov 14, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. jubbly

NickJ

I always say if it's slowing you down and it's not something you necessarily need to run or use? Disable the mofo and watch your system speed up!

NickJ, Nov 22, 2012
  4. jubbly

jubbly

But that doesn't help people who do want to share stuff on the homegroup.

jubbly, Nov 24, 2012
  5. jubbly

NickJ

Well is there an alternative method you can think of? If it's that much of a pain to your systems functionality, you have to make a decision if you can't straighten out the problem with HG running.

NickJ, Nov 26, 2012
  6. jubbly

Victor Leigh

What it boils down to is whether you have the resources to enable sharing. I think there are two things involved.

One is the processing power of your computer. If you install a meter to see your cpu load then you can get some idea about how your computer is performing. If your computer is running at nearly 100% cpu load all the time, then you should think about disabling some services. Like sharing.

The other thing to consider is your internet connection speed. If you have a slow connection, sharing is not really a viable option because it takes too long to share whatever you want to share.

The first question you should be asking is whether you really need real-time sharing. Most of the time you can make do with batch sharing. Like putting the data to be shared on a memory stick and sharing the data that way.

Victor Leigh, Nov 26, 2012
    davehc likes this.
  7. jubbly

jubbly

What does homegroup sharing have to do with your internet connection speed?

jubbly, Nov 26, 2012
  8. jubbly

Tepid

Nothing.

But it could be your internal network causing an issue.
    Netgear and Linksys both have problems with copying large amounts of data at one time from one system to another over WIFI.

However, General Home Group Sharing shouldn't cause any issues. I will need to test this out more later.
    You can do advanced sharing of folders and drives directly, rather than using HG Sharing.
    Right Click / Properties and use the Sharing Tab. This gives you more control over who has what access anyway.

Tepid, Dec 24, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question