Home network printing problem from Windows 8

SOLVED Discussion in 'Networking' started by gadisam, May 10, 2014.

1. gadisam

gadisam

I have 3 PCs on my home network

1. Windows XP desktop with HP 6500 USB printer.

2. Windows 7 desktop with HP 1018 USB printer.

3. Windows 8 laptop.

All computers can see each other and share folders on the home network.

Computers 1 & 2 can freely print on their own printers, as well as on each other's printer.

The problem is with computer 3 (the Windows 8 machine): it can see both printers, but can't print on either (in fact, I can print a test page on the HP 1018 printer from the printer driver on the Windows 8 machine, but I can't print anything from any application). I tried to install HP 6500 driver on the Windows 8 machine, I turned on Network Discovery in the Advanced Sharing Settings on it, but it still doesn't work.

Any help would be appreciated

gadisam, May 10, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. gadisam

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Have you managed to install the proper driver package from HP for both printers onto the Windows 8 Laptop?
    Here's a link for both Windows 8.1 64 bit drivers. If you are running Windows 8.1 32 bit then you will need to switch to that source.
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...dlc=en&lc=en&os=4158&product=4083871&sw_lang=
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...dlc=en&lc=en&os=4158&product=1814094&sw_lang=
    I took my best guess, as you left out specifics for your Operating System and the exact model number of the printer(s).
    It's always best to have the latest version of the driver package for the specific operating system installed.

Trouble, May 10, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. gadisam

gadisam

I tried to install the 64-bit package of the HP6500, but it won't let me finish the installation until I physically connect the printer to the laptop. Is there any way to bypass it?

WinXP Pro SP3
    Win7 Ultimate SP1 64 bit
    Win8 64 bit
    HP 6500 E709a
    HP Laserjet 1018

gadisam, May 10, 2014
  4. gadisam

If you have downloaded the appropriate driver package from HP specific to your printer model and operating system architecture.
    Then put it into a folder (in a location known to you and use 7zip from here http://www.7-zip.org/download.html to extract the executable into the folder (after installing 7zip, simply right click the driver package .exe file and choose extract here).
    After finding the printer on the network (it's shared location on the host machine). Simply right click and choose install (or connect or attach depending on the options) when prompted for a driver simply point to the folder where you used 7zip to extract the driver package. It'll likely find AutoRun.inf and go ahead with the install.

Trouble, May 10, 2014
  5. gadisam

gadisam

SO FAR SO GOOD.

I found the printer, I right click it, but there's NO install/connect option. I try Printer / Properties / Advanced, and then there's a "New Driver" button, but it's grayed out. In fact, all options in Printer / Properties are grayed out.
    If I remove the printer and let Windows re-find it, it finds it alright, but won't let me select any driver from any location (it auto-selects the driver for me).

So I'm stuck again.

gadisam, May 10, 2014
  6. gadisam

First of all you should probably open the devices and printers applet in the control panel and remove any and all failed attempts at installing the printer previously.
    And when I say find the printer on the network, I mean.... actually browse the network, don't use the windows printer installer wizard to find it for you.
    If you have it shared properly then you should be able to browse your workgroup, then the host computer and you should see the printer and then right click the printer.

Trouble, May 11, 2014
  7. gadisam

gadisam

DONE.
    OK, I found the Connect option according to your instructions,, but it still won't let me specify the driver. It automatically connects the HP from the network without letting me specify anything.

gadisam, May 11, 2014
  8. gadisam

and .....
    can you open up notepad.... type a couple lines of text and print from notepad?

Trouble, May 11, 2014
  9. gadisam

gadisam

I did that, of course, deveral days ago.
    When I send the print to the Officejet 6500, it says "The handle is invalid",
    when I send the print to the Laserjet 1018, Notepad crashes :)

gadisam, May 12, 2014
  10. gadisam

OK...
    Let's do this the hard way.
    Here's what I've done as a work around which worked for me and hopefully will work for you as well.
    Open devices and printers and get rid of any failed attempts at adding the printer. Then select a random printer that remains (I just used the Microsoft XPS Document Writer) and from the menu bar at the top select "Print Server Properties"
    From the resultant window select the ports tab and the add port button
    In the case of a network shared printer you'll need to add "Local Port" and in the case of a network attached IP printer you will need to add a Standard TCP/IP Port.
    Adding the TCP/IP port is pretty straight forward just type in the IP address of the network attached printer in the Port Name text box
    Adding the Local port is a little more complicated you'll want to add it using one of these two formats
    \\MachineNameHostingThePrinterShare\ShareNameOfPrinter (\\My-PC\hpdj) where My-PC is the actual machine name of the PC that the printer is attached to and hpdj (Hewlett Packard Desk Jet) is the share name of the printer on that machine.
    or
    \\IPaddressOfTheMachineHostingThePrinterShare\ShareNameOfPrinter (\\192.168.1.123\hpdj) where 192.168.1.123 is the IP addresss of the machine that the printer is attached to and hpdj (Hewlett Packard Desk Jet) is the share name of the printer on that machine.
    OK, now you have your printer port setup and it's off to Device Manager you go. Just type Device Manager into the search box after clicking the start orb and hit enter ( I know you know how to do that, but this is for others who may not).
    Right click the computer at the top of the tree in device manager and choose add legacy hardware
    Click next
    Select the Install the hardware that I manually select radio button and next.
    Select Printers from the list and next
    Select Use and existing port and select the port that you have previously created from the drop down list and next
    Now you are going to need the driver (Windows 7 Driver should work and there may be a native driver) So....
    In the left column select the Manufactuer and in the Right column look for the model driver you are attempting to install.
    If not present you'll need to select the Have Disk button and then point the driver installation at the folder where you have previously download and extracted the appropriate drivers for your printer from the manufacturer. (You did that already right??)

Trouble, May 12, 2014
  11. gadisam

gadisam

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation!
    but:
    I have already done that and failed. I tried to select both the driver that Windows found for me, and the Autorun.inf file that I downloaded from HP site (for Windows 8, not 7), and both failed.

Now when I right click the printer and click Printing Properties, I get the following error msg:

***************************************************************************************
    Function address 0xyyyyyyyy caused a protection fault (exception code 0xc0000005)
    ***************************************************************************************
    (yyyyyyyy may vary from one try to another).

I should mention here that until several days ago I didn't get this error msg. I could see the printer properties alright (but couldn't print). This means that several days ago, when I first let Windows find the printer for me, it found the CORRECT DRIVER (but couldn't print). When I tried to mess with it, the driver disappeared and I can't restore it.

I'm THIS close to giving up.....
    Any suggestion how to eliminate this error msg?

gadisam, May 12, 2014
  12. gadisam

gadisam

I have another idea:
    Maybe I should try to download another driver rather than the Win8 driver?
    Is there a "native" driver for my HP Officejet 6500 E709a printer? maybe a "general purpose" driver?

gadisam, May 12, 2014
  13. gadisam

Evidently.... I just attempted to add a new 64 bit driver to my Windows 8 Machine, click the Windows Update button and when it finished there it was. And I certainly don't have one, so I can only assume that Windows 8.1 has native support.
    HP6500.PNG

Trouble, May 13, 2014
  14. gadisam

gadisam

Thanks again, but it still doesn't work. The same error message appears.

My guess: Windows somehow "remembers" the removed printer and/or the removed driver, and won't replace it with the new one.

Another choice: connect the printer directly to the laptop (via USB), install it with the Win8 driver that I downloaded, them re-connect it to the desktop computer and see what happens....

gadisam, May 13, 2014
  15. gadisam

Seems like a logical next best step. Good luck and keep us posted.

Unfortunately on occasion some HP Printer Software can be very problematic to install and even worse to remove completely. Fortunately, very often within the software package there is very often an uninstaller.
    You may need to contact HP Support for it's location of the uninstall utility itself.

Trouble, May 13, 2014
  16. gadisam

gadisam

Hallelujah! It finally works!

And this is what I did and what I should have done:

When I first installed the printer, I let Windows select the driver, WHICH WAS THE RIGHT THING TO DO (I guess Windows uses some native driver embedded in Win8 installation kit).

However, in the installation process I didn't tell Windows to create a local port for the printer, WHICH WAS MY FIRST MISTAKE.

Then, when I couldn't print, I downloaded and installed a Win8 driver from HP site, which completely RUINED the driver (MY SECOND MISTAKE).

Only later I got the tip to specify a local port for the printer, which was a good advice, but since the driver was defective, I still couldn't print.

Finally, I reached the understanding that I need first to completely remove the defective driver. So I used the same HP printer installation program (from HP site) to totally REMOVE all HP components from my computer, then re-installed the printer, this time specifying a local port, let Windows select the driver, and voila - everything's OK.

To sum up, the actual steps were as follows:

Add Printer: Windows 'searches for available printers' and finds the networked printer. Ignore this misleading attempt, and click the big letters below "The printer that I want isn't listed".

Add a local printer.

Create a new port - select 'Local Port'.

Enter port name, something like: \\PCnetworkname\printername.

Select printer driver - I used the suggested HP driver, otherwise click 'Have Disk...', navigate to
    your downloaded driver and select the .INF file.

More detailed instructions:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/bhitney/archive/2012/09/17/windows-8-cannot-connect-to-printer.aspx

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printe...indows-8-print-to-networked-5150/td-p/3090437

gadisam, May 15, 2014
  17. gadisam

gadisam

Thank you all for your contribution and help!

gadisam, May 15, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question