Hiren's USB / CD Boot issue with Windows 8

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Support' started by Dr_DLH, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Dr_DLH

Dr_DLH

I have used Hirens for years with hardly any issues. As I am not a parts changer type of tech. I like to diagnose and find the issues manually. My current issue is that I am unable to boot and see the hard drive on a windows 8 default secure boot installed system. If I turn off secure boot it still doesn't let me see any contents on the windows 8 hard drive. Is there anyone that has a trick to see the hard drive? I have reformatted a drive and turned off secure boot and hirens then works. Its like the default system is something I am unable to work with at the moment. If there is another way to boot to an external usb or CD drive software to see the contents of the windows 8 hard drive please let me know. I use Hiren's to locate malware and virus's to manually remove them and copy personal data from a failed/faulty/infected system.

Thanks for any knowledgable input.

Dr_DLH, Apr 16, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. Dr_DLH

Shintaro Moderator

Mate,

Sounds like BitLocker is on.
    Turning off secure boot in the BIOS is not going to do anything if the drive is encrypted.
    You need the recovery key or know the password to decrypt the drive.
    By default BitLocker uses AES 128 bit encryption.

Shintaro, Apr 21, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. Dr_DLH

Dr_DLH

Bit locker has nothing to do with it. No password is set on a new PC.

Dr_DLH, Apr 21, 2014
  4. Dr_DLH

Shintaro Moderator

Ok, so I have a stock install laptop from HP, Windows 8.1 fully patched, granted it is 12 months old.
    I have tried AVG Rescue CD and Tails 0.23, both work. I can access the Windows partition and manipulate files.

What version of Hirens are you using?
    What brand/type of computer are you testing on?

Shintaro, Apr 21, 2014
  5. Dr_DLH

Dr_DLH

I have tried dell, hp and toshiba laptops i5, and i7 from Best Buy. Using the latest 15.2 and older versions as well.

So AVG Rescue and Tails work but have you tried Hirens?

What I was doing was trying to back up a new PC before converting to win7 and purchased several different brands... I have been doing this for years and with win8 something is different. The only way I was to successfully boot and see the win 8 drive was to turn off secure boot, pull the drive out and format it NTFS, place it back in the PC and reinstall windows 8 then I was able to use ghost and image the partition over.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
    Dr_DLH, Apr 21, 2014
  6. Dr_DLH

Shintaro Moderator

I just tried Hiren's. PartedMagic mounts the convential spinning drive but has trouble with the SSD, It see's the physical SSD drive but it just will not mount it. I am not sure if it is related to BitLocker. So I am removing BitLocker.

What app were you using in Hiren's? To back up / Access the contents?
    Do the laptops have SSD's / Conventional disks or both?

So with Secure boot OFF and in Hiren's (Whatever app you using)
    Can you see the physical drive?
    If you can see the physical drive can you mount it?

Shintaro, Apr 21, 2014
  7. Dr_DLH

Dr_DLH

Just booting to hirens and going to my computer I see the drives... Nomounting at all. Just wondering if it's the new partition like gpart....

Dr_DLH, Apr 21, 2014
  8. Dr_DLH

Shintaro Moderator

Ok, it was Bitlocker that prevented my SSD from mounting. I could see the drive but couldn't mount it.

Shintaro, Apr 21, 2014
  9. Dr_DLH

Shintaro Moderator

Anyway you can take a bit copy of the disk. Once you have the bit image you can mount it. Please let me know what app your using.

Shintaro, Apr 21, 2014
  10. Dr_DLH

Dr_DLH

Would like to use hirens

Dr_DLH, Apr 21, 2014
  11. Dr_DLH

Shintaro Moderator

ok, maybe I have a different version of Hirens. Because my cd boots to a menu where I can start a lot of different apps (AV, PartedMagic...) HERE is the link.

1/ Are you booting in to Mini XP or Linux?
    2/ Are you able to mount the partition Linux?

Attached is a pic of the boot menu. Is it the same as yours?

Attached Files:

Shintaro, Apr 21, 2014
  12. Dr_DLH

Dr_DLH

Sorry I don't use the Linux portion just the mini xp.

Dr_DLH, Apr 21, 2014
  13. Dr_DLH

Shintaro Moderator

Well then I would suggest that you try Linux to see if it is related to Windows. Which it it very well could be since it is a cut down version of Win XP.
    Sorry I never use Windows for Forensic operations and disk manipulation. And I haven't used Hiren's for about 5 years.
    Try the Linux option and PartedMagic, just to see if you can mount the disks. If you are not sure how to do that in Linux I will try and help you as much as I can.

I'll have to create a USB version of Hiren's so that I can re-test in Mini XP.

******* IMPORTANT: What APP are you using in Mini XP so that I can emulate what you are doing?

I am about to go out for a couple of hours, but I will have another when I get back.

Shintaro, Apr 21, 2014
  14. Dr_DLH

Dr_DLH

I am not using any apps, I just want to boot and see the C drive and explore the drive.

Dr_DLH, Apr 22, 2014
  15. Dr_DLH

Shintaro Moderator

The Mini XP starts to load the GUI, but then just shuts the laptop off. So no doubt it doesn't like the newer hardware.
    So it's definitely a problem with Mini XP on Hiren's disk, because the Linux side works ok. I had FULL control over the files on the mounted partitions on the conventional disk as well as the SSD when running though Linux on Hiren's disk.

I'll have a look around, but Win XP is a dead product, most of the techs that I know went to Linux for low level stuff (Virus/Malware removal and disk manipulation) many years ago.

Remember you can take a bit image of the disk, then mount the image (Read-Only if you like) and explore it that way.

I *think* there is a USB boot version of Win 7 from Microsoft. However I *think* it is only for Enterprise though. I'll see what I can dig up.

Shintaro, Apr 22, 2014
  16. Dr_DLH

Dr_DLH

That would be cool to have a mini win7. 15.2 has been out for some time and really would like to see it using win7 boot.

Don't know if that would solve my issue or not but hopefully they upgrade their boot options for win8.

Thanks for all your help.

Dr_DLH, Apr 22, 2014
  17. Dr_DLH

Shintaro Moderator

Ok, you can build a Windows 7 PE ISO from HERE.
    I used Make-PE3 and BOOT_USB.exe to create a bootable Windows 7 Home Edition USB.
    Not sure how this goes with Microsoft Licensing, that is something you will need to look in to.

I could see my Conventional disk as well as my SSD on my HP laptop. Whereas I had no hope with Hiren's Mini XP. So at-the-end-of-the-day the problem was Hiren's out of date Mini XP.

If your happy with this please mark the thread as solved.

Shintaro, Apr 23, 2014
  18. Dr_DLH

Dr_DLH

Thank you, I will check this out as soon as I can.

Dr_DLH, Apr 23, 2014
  19. Dr_DLH

ezra24

How is it? Did you find solutions? Thanks

ezra24, Apr 26, 2014
  20. Dr_DLH

Dr_DLH

Thought it was an ISO but have to build a PE version of windows so I was goin to wait until I had more time

Dr_DLH, Apr 26, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question