Hi everyone. Help me descide in converting to Win8.1 in my new laptop

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Iggy, Apr 7, 2014.

?

Win 7 or Win 8.1?

1. Win 7

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Win 8.1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Other

100.0%
  1. Iggy

Iggy

Hi All,
    I'm an old guy who has been around computers and Windows OS since its conception. (1979).
    I can make any computer faster and run cleaner as long as it doesn't have Win8 in it.
    Now my desktop uses Win7 Ultimate 64bit which I really like and able to do whatever I want easily.
    My old laptop is lets say old like me and running WinXP since 2004. It's running an AMD -XP+ 2000 chip that is blazing fast with 1 gig of shared memory. LOL.

OK now I want get a new Dell laptop probably with the new 4th Gen i3 or i5 chip.
    15" or larger touchscreen, 6-8 gig RAM, 500gig HD or larger, Wi-Fi, webcam, USB2 and 3 ports.
    I want to use it for travel and size isn't a problem. Check email, surf a little, limited gaming and that's it.
    Do I need or want Win 8.1?
    I know 99% of all new laptops have Win 8 or 8.1 in it.
    I have tried Win8 at the local stores and don't really get it yet as I don't want a large table PC but touchscreen is here to stay.

Now that the basics are out of the way here is my questions that I need answered about Win8.
    1. I know the start up desktop can look like Win7 desktop using additional software.
    2. Can I manage and manipulate Win8 like Win7 or is it hard to find out what's going on in the background.
    3. Does Win8 use more memory and HD space or is it trimmed down nicely?

How many of you old timers converted to Win8 and what do you think about it now?

Thanks in advance,
    Iggy in the cool part of Arizona.

Iggy, Apr 7, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. Iggy

Iggy

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
    Iggy, Apr 7, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. Iggy

scajjr2

Iggy,

I'm 60, have 5 desktop PCs, a laptop and a "hybrid" (Asus TransformerBook T100 64Gb) in our house. Have been running Win 8 then 8.1 on them all with Stardock's Start8 (except on the T100). Upgraded them all from Win 7 this past fall. Start8 made them all look and act like they had Win 7 on them. Win 8.1 has lower hardware requirements and under-the-hood improvements that make it run faster and smoother on my systems.

Frankly on my T100 when it's undocked from the keyboard I don't use the "metro" interface much, mainly because the apps/programs I use a lot (Firefox, VLC) are either not available or limited feature-wise with their metro/modern versions.Touch works OK for me running programs in desktop mode on it for me. If more apps become available then I may find I use the touch w/metro more.

Sam

scajjr2, Apr 8, 2014
  4. Iggy

Iggy

Thanks Sam.
    I have read about Stardock's Start8 that makes it have a similar desktop as Win7.
    I'm still undecided and still looking at different brands of laptops.
    Dell and HP so far range about $600-$650 for 4th gen i5 processor
    Costco has a sale starting April 10th for a HP Pavillion, 15.6" Touchsmart, 4th gen i5 CPU, 12 GB Ram, 1 TB Hard drive, DVD/RW, wifi Camera, and Windows 8.1 all for $649
    If the keyboard and screen look good I may get it.
    Any other good deals are welcome.
    Thanks,
    Iggy

Iggy, Apr 8, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question