Help Please

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sycc, Nov 20, 2013.

1. sycc

sycc

trying to upgrade from win 7 x32 ultimate and this is what i get. i've tried running it in compatibility mode for win 7/vista & still get the same error
    [​IMG]

sycc, Nov 20, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. sycc

davidhk129

I don't have the complete answer for you.
    Instead, I am trying to pave the way for the experts who will give you in-depth instructions.

Here is what I notice from your screenshot......
    You are trying to upgrade from a 32-bit Win 7 to a 64-bit Win 8.1. Yes ?
    And you are trying to do that with a Win 8.1 64-bit ISO file. Yes ?

Can't do that.

Here is an excerpt for you to read.......
    Can I update from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows 8.1?
    If your PC has a 64-bit capable processor (CPU) but is currently running a 32-bit version of Windows, you can install a 64-bit version of Windows 8.1, but you'll need to buy it as a DVD and perform a clean installation. You won't be able to keep any files, settings, or apps when you update from a 32-bit to a 64-bit version.
    Please note that the Windows 8.1 Pro Pack is used to upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 8.1 Pro, and isn't for cross-architecture installs and doesn't include any media. If you want to change architectures, buy Windows 8.1 Pro.
    For more info about what service packs are available, see Add features.
    How do I buy a physical DVD?
    You can buy a Windows 8.1 DVD from the Microsoft Store or any other retailer if available in your country or region. You can also buy it online from the Microsoft Store in Austria, Belgium, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden, Spain, Switzerland, United Kingdom, and United States.
    If you want to build your own PC and install Windows 8.1, or want an additional operating system running in either a local virtual machine or separate partition (including a Mac), you can buy the Windows 8.1 products (full version) from a local retailer.
    Source is from Windows article : Update to Windows 8.1: FAQ
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows-8/upgrade-to-windows-8

Good luck.

davidhk129, Nov 20, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. sycc

davidhk129

In short, in order to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1, you have to purchase 8.1 DVD with a 8.1 product key.

davidhk129, Nov 20, 2013
  4. sycc

themarting

the reason for this is because although 64 bit systems can run a 32 bit executable, a 32 bit executable can NOT run a 64 bit exe.

try installing it to a USB drive and installing that way. Theres a prompt at the beginning that asks if youre upgrading or installing fresh. Upgrade isnt an upgrade in the same sense as the desktop upgrade if i understand correctly. It merely puts all your old stuff into a file called "windows.old"

i could be wrong though, but it would take a few extra minutes to try and be wrong.

themarting, Nov 22, 2013
  5. sycc

Black_Epiphany

You have to do a clean install with a Windows 8 dvd if you are trying to upgrade from a 32bit version of Windows to a 64bit. A 32bit OS cannot run a 64bit program, but a 64 bit OS can run a 32 bit program. Just make sure you back up everything onto an external hard drive or something before you do a clean install. Also, check to make sure your PC can run a 64bit OS.

Black_Epiphany, Dec 1, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question