HELP! Dolby Audio Driver Error after 8.1 install

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Support' started by Jane \, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Jane \

Jane \

I updated to 8.1 because supposedly, it was to offer features similar to win 7. Instead, it's even worse than win 8. Now, the sound quality on my laptop is lousy because the Dolby Audio driver receives an error message and isn't working. I went to Lenovo (I have a Ideapad N Series 580) and followed these instructions from Lenovo and microsoft, which unfortunately didn't help. I'm still getting the same error message. I wish I had never heard of windows 8.1! Many have had this same problem after installing 8.1. HELP!

This instructions are from Answers.Microsoft, but didn't work.

Open Device Manager. (Right-click on the Start button and choose Device Manager).
    Expand the Sound, Video and Games Controllers section.
    Right Click on the Conexant Smart Audio HD item and choose Uninstall.
    Still in Device Manager, click on Action>Scan for new Hardware.
    The Conexant Smart Audio item will re-appear.
    Right-Click on it and choose update driver.
    Navigate to d:\drivers\audio.
    When that's done, close Device Manager.
    Open File Manager and navigate to D:\drivers\Audio\DolbyGUI and install Dolby Home Theater.

These instructions are from Lenovo and didn't work.

Open Device Manager. (Right-click on the Start button and choose Device Manager).
    Expand the Sound, Video and Games Controllers section.
    Right Click on the Conexant Smart Audio HD item and choose Uninstall.
    Still in Device Manager, click on Action>Scan for new Hardware.
    The Conexant Smart Audio item will re-appear.
    Right-Click on it and choose update driver.
    Navigate to d:\drivers\audio.
    When that's done, close Device Manager.
    Open File Manager and navigate to D:\drivers\Audio\DolbyGUI and install Dolby Home Theater.

Jane \, Oct 25, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. Jane \

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Trouble, Oct 25, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. Jane \

Jane \

Thanks or responding, but I had actually downloaded those updated drivers yesterday before I posted on this forum, and I'm still getting the error message and lousy sound quality. I am now seeking help from three Windows 8 forums with no solution yet, that is how bad and problematic Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 are.

Jane \, Oct 25, 2013
  4. Jane \

Charlie.L

OH....me too....have you solved your problem?? if the answer is yes, please tell me how to deal with....thx!!!!!!

Charlie.L, Nov 1, 2013
  5. Jane \

laurenil

Hello, I also have a Lenovo N580 and am experiencing the same problem. Have you found a solution yet? Thank you.

laurenil, Dec 22, 2013
  6. Jane \

LoneWolfMage

Hello all ~

Regarding the "error message " what does the errors message say ?? Can you be a bit more specific ??

What *I* would do is the following:

-Download the driver package from Lenovo website depending on your system configuration ( as recommended to the OP by TrainableMan).
    -Uninstall the device and drivers from Device manager within windows.
    -Reboot system.
    -Allow Windows to detect the device but DO NOT let it install the drivers or software.
    -Install the driver package you downloaded from the Lenovo website.
    -Reboot system again.
    Yes it my seem "redundant" HAVE to reboot the system but it does help.

If everything has installed correctly and you have sound with no errors follow up with the following:

>>=click

From Start Screen search for Sound >> Change Sound Card Settings >> To only highlight your particular sound card (don't double click) >> Configure

Choose your configuration(which I would guess would be stereo sound) . Then do a test.

If everything has installed correctly you should notice a difference in sound quality.

***NOTE***
    While I DONT have a laptop with your specs (I have a Custom built desktop with a recent Win 8 with upgrade to Win 8.1 install) I too had a particular problem(lousy sound) with my audio ..

Albeit it was with various types of video and audio files .. but .. this seemed to solve my problem ..
    **Secondary note**

Being a new person working Windows 8.1 myself. I cannot 100% guarantee success with my advice.

Hope that helps.
    Any other questions feel free to ask.
    ~LoneWolf

LoneWolfMage, Dec 22, 2013
  7. Jane \

Charlie.L

SO SORRY THAT I WAHT TO REPLY YOU, BUT I CLICKED A WORONG BUTTON---"report".....if it makes any trouble....please excuse me.....

errrrr, can you help me a little about the website you gave??
    I downloaded a driver from this website in order to solve my video app's problem( it can not play any video, except a short video but without sounds), I am sure my setting of laptop versions and system versions are correct.
    However, when I install that driver, there is a notice jumped out and it said: "Your computer corrently contains driver versions newer than the versions you are about to install"......why is that driver older than what I have??? should l install it??

Attached Files:

Charlie.L, Dec 23, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question