Hello!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by silverslayer33, Jun 4, 2013.

1. silverslayer33

silverslayer33

Hello evereyone! My name is Nick. I've been using Windows 8 since a few days after it was released, and I've been using Windows for years (I feel like I've used every version of Windows since Windows '95 on a computer in my home at some point). I do some programming as a hobby (although it's a hobby I've become very skilled at) and I've become overly fond of playing video games. This community looked pretty interesting so I thought I'd join and have some great discussions with you all!

silverslayer33, Jun 4, 2013
    Core likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. silverslayer33

Ian Administrator

Hi silverslayer33, welcome to the forums - great to have you join us :).

Out of interest, which languages do you program in? I'm trying to improve my PHP knowledge at the moment, as I'm only capable of the most basic scripts (although it does the job!).

Ian, Jun 4, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. silverslayer33

silverslayer33

Mostly C++ and C#. I've been moving away from C# recently and more towards C++ though because there are better game development libraries for C++ and I want to write some more cross-platform code (C# can be cross-platform with Mono and WINE, but I'd rather make it easier for the end-user to use). I also know a little bit of Java (I spent some time making Android apps), Python, Lua, and Javascript. I know the basics of PHP like you, and I'm also working on improving my skills in it (I'm currently writing some basic blog software to help myself do that).

silverslayer33, Jun 4, 2013
  4. silverslayer33

Ian Administrator

Quite a skill set you've got there :D.

Would you recommend anywhere in particular for C++ tutorials? It's something I've been wanting to learn for a long while, but I've never had the time (or made the time, perhaps!). I spotted http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/ which looked like a good resource.

Ian, Jun 5, 2013
  5. silverslayer33

silverslayer33

I wish I had any good C++ tutorials to recommend, I've had several people ask me that question and I've unfortunately been unable to give any good advice any of the times. I taught C++ to myself in the most awkward way possible. I started with C# and then moved to C++ because they share a pretty similar syntax (program structure is far different, though). I started applying concepts I knew from C# to C++ and used different tutorials for different things or just used Google to solve any problems I have. I did use the tutorial you linked to a few times, and it did help a bit, but it's not the only tutorial I used (it is the only one I remember, though, because they also have documentation of the classes in the C++ standard lib on there, which is very helpful). Eventually I sort of just considered myself good enough at it and started making more complex things without having to look up different C++ conventions or coding standards anymore.

silverslayer33, Jun 5, 2013
  6. silverslayer33

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

Welcome to the forum. Could always use more coders.

Core, Jun 6, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question