hdd not seen in bios

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bassfisher6522, Jan 20, 2013.

1. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

I have windows 7 installed on one hard drive and windows 8 on a separate hard drive. When I go into the BIOS, the only hdd listed is the one with windows 7 installed. I have a total of 3 hdd installed, the third is strictly for storage. My mobo is an Asus M4N78 Pro. So how do I get the other hdd's to show to be able to choose which one to boot from.

With all thre plugged into the mobo, PC wants to boot from only the 7 drive. If I unplug that drive windows will boot from the drive that has 8 installed. None of the F keys work to boot into the drive with 8 installed while having the drive with 7 plugged in.

I hate the thought of having to take the side panel off every time an reattach power and sata cables just to get back into 7 when needed...any thoughts.

bassfisher6522, Jan 20, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

I think I got it solved...in the bios just below the boot order is a tab "hard drives". It's with in there you can change the boot order...for my mobo. So now all 3 drives are hooked up and now are showing up in "computer" tab. All though the drive letter assignment is different between each OS.

1. Advertisements

3. bassfisher6522

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Hey Jim.
    That board should have a BIOS Boot Device option menu available to you without going all the way into the BIOS.
    It is generally going to involve and F (function) Key at the top of your keyboard, It may be described in your motherboard manual if you happen to have something like that laying around.
    Although some ASUS boards actually used the Esc key or even keyboard combination and believe it or not in a stroke of genius someone at ASUS even elected to use the F8 key, which if not used at the proper time during post will likely just produce the Windows Advanced Boot option menu which can be a pain.

Trouble, Jan 20, 2013
  4. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

I've tried all Fkeys, a restart and tried an Fkey until I went through them all...3 Fkeys gave me the Windows Advanced Boot option menus and one Fkey gave me what looked like to be a CMD window but one like I've never seen. I should have made a list of what did what at the time...but is was late and I was tired.

I've looked through the manual, online and my physical copy and the only mention of any Fkeys are the F8 and the delete key.

5. bassfisher6522

Did you also try the Escape key (Esc)?
    Is there no text during the post near the bottom of the screen indicating a key for boot menu? You may have to disable fast boot option and logo screen to see everything fully.

Trouble, Jan 20, 2013
  6. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

No I haven't tried the Esc key....and haven't disable fast boo option either...will give those a try.

7. bassfisher6522

OK, keep us posted.
    Disabling the Fast Boot option may also give the F8 key (if that is in fact the Boot Menu option key) time to work before it produces the Windows Advanced Boot Option menu.

Trouble, Jan 20, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question