HDD Doesnt Show right capacity

Discussion in 'Installation, Setup and Upgrades' started by shawn, Sep 13, 2015.

1. shawn

shawn

Hello I dont know where to post this question. I purchased a computer with windows 7 ultimate edition on it with a 500 GB hdd. Then windows 10 came out and a friend of mine gave me a preview copy. I used Darik's boot and nuke to scrub the info on the hdd. After it deleted the partitions I checked the capacity and it was about 495 to 497 GB.

I installed the windows 10 preview and it sucked up a bit more than 20 GB on the hdd. Tried it out of a few days, found out it was invading my privacy ( something in the eula statement ) and bought a windows 8 from ebay. Setup the computer to boot from cd / dvd rom and was taken to the page where to shows the partitions. I deleted all of them but the computer shows me the capacity of the hdd is 475 GB.

I used Darik's boot disk again and there is no change.

Does anyone know how I can get the space back and where it went?

Thank you for your time.

shawn, Sep 13, 2015
    1. Advertisements

2. shawn

bassfisher6522

Can you post a screen shot of what your disk management window looks like...a full view of window showing all installed drives please?

bassfisher6522, Sep 14, 2015
    1. Advertisements

3. shawn

shawn

Is full screen what you meant?

Attached Files:

shawn, Sep 15, 2015
  4. shawn

bassfisher6522

Yes...thank you.

I don't see any issue with hidden or missing partitions with the drive and looks about right. As HDD's never ever have exactly the total amount of space as advertised. Example; my Seagate 320 GB advertised size is actually 297 GB....which leaves 23 GB missing. That's just how HDD manufacturers have it set up. Why....IDK, it's just that way.

bassfisher6522, Sep 15, 2015
  5. shawn

shawn

i understand. But it was about 20 GB less prior to the windows 10 installation. Is windows 10 still there? I mean doesnt that seem strange?

Attached Files:

shawn, Sep 15, 2015
  6. shawn

bassfisher6522

Yes...it does seem strange and No...windows 10 isn't there anymore. But, according to your screen shots (both), the drive looks healthy and the correct size. Other than the 2nd screen shot shows that it's unallocated now. Which means you need to create a new volume and it will assign it a drive letter.

bassfisher6522, Sep 15, 2015
  7. shawn

shawn

Thank you for the technical support and your time.

Also the second image was prior to the installation of windows 8.

shawn, Sep 17, 2015
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question