Hate the Shutdown procedure?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Carly, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Carly

Carly

Do you hate the long procedure to shutdown your windows 8 PC? I have a solution!
    If you push the start key + r, the run window will pop up, in this window input "shutdown.exe -s -t 0" (without qoutes) and when you hit enter your computer will instantly shutdown! Next time you push the start key + r, the command will already be saved so you can push enter immediately and you can shutdown your PC very quickly! Enjoy! :D

Carly, Mar 29, 2013
    Trouble likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Carly

Alexisdv20

Wow, thank you for this... It's been a while since I was looking for something faster than the regular method... Didn't know it could have been that easy! :)

Alexisdv20, Mar 30, 2013
    Carly likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Carly

davehc

If you have a reasonably new computer, the fastest and most convenient way is to set your power options accordingly (Closing the lid: Power button) ie. to shutdown your computer. This starts the software shutdown sequence and, therefore, does no harm to your OS. My desktop, and regular Laptop, are as old as Windows 7, and this has been my way of switching off during that time.

davehc, Mar 31, 2013
  4. Carly

Aditya Kulkarni

It is already a quick procedure I think, don't really need to make some changes to it, I think.
    Ever since I've got windows 8, things have started working good for me! :)

Aditya Kulkarni, Apr 3, 2013
    davehc likes this.
  5. Carly

Carly

That is a good way to shutdown as well but i prefer my method more because i have my laptop setup so i can use it with an external display with the lid closed and i very rarely use the power button on any of my computers. This method does not harm your OS either, just remember to save your work ;)

Carly, Apr 10, 2013
  6. Carly

davehc

Ah yes. I use a docking station and do the action with the on/off button there. The lid remains closed , with the laptop way back on the desk.

davehc, Apr 10, 2013
  7. Carly

Victor Leigh

That's a good tip. However I don't have any use for it. That's because I am happy with the way I can shut down Windows 8. There's something about swiping my mouse across the screen which gives me some kind of fun.

Victor Leigh, Apr 11, 2013
    Carly likes this.
  8. Carly

dash57

Thanks, We'll try it..

dash57, Apr 11, 2013
  9. Carly

Carly

I'm glad you guys found my idea useful; iv been using it for months!

Carly, Apr 15, 2013
  10. Carly

ChristineBCW

I just use ALT-F4 from the Desktop. Easy, quick. Same as Win2000, Win98...

ChristineBCW, Apr 26, 2013
  11. Carly

davehc

Just thought I would toss in yet another method which I used a while ago. Run the files you require, in the attached and then you will have a right click option for the whole bag.

Attached Files:

davehc, Apr 27, 2013
  12. Carly

Victor Leigh

Looks like Windows 8 has spawned a mini industry in shutdown addons. Maybe I am mistaken but I think Windows 8 is not supposed to be shutdown in the first place. I kind of think it's supposed to just hibernate when it's not in use. Is that possible?

Victor Leigh, Apr 27, 2013
  13. Carly

sking61

I think that windows 8 is going to take some getting use to. Far as the shut down feature I don't really have any problems. The only time it does takes a lot of time is when I actually have other things open.

sking61, May 3, 2013
  14. Carly

Carly

That's true, but once you've gotten used to the interface, it's so much more productive compared to previous windows operating systems!

I suppose that is true for mobile applications of the operating system, but desktops and more powerful machines should be shutdown when not in use.

Carly, May 6, 2013
  15. Carly

themarksquared

Thanks for the awesome tip! I read this on a pc forum a long time ago, but I completely forgot about it. Thank you so much for reminding me. Stay awesome!

themarksquared, May 14, 2013
  16. Carly

mintpp

Can you explain what you mean by this? Will it damage the performance of my system if I shut down too often? The reason I ask is because I generally have been shutting down my laptop when I'm finished with it for the day. So far I haven't noticed any problems as a result of this, but should I stop shutting it down and allow it to sit there in sleep mode overnight?

mintpp, May 16, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question